Kurosuke (working title)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Kurosuke (working title)

Post by tentus »

Hm, line 87 creates the physics world, using the newWorld function. My version checking code should have stopped you from using an old version of Love: did you compile your own version?

I've reformatted some of the code, try downloading the game again and see what it does.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Elvenrix
Prole

Post by Elvenrix »

Im using windows 7 here, and the game runs plain fine
ghostwriter
Prole

Post by ghostwriter »

Oops, I was running it in 0.7beta instead of 0.7. It works fine :nyu:
Very nice gui! I was impressed with the continuity and functionality of the menus.
I noticed that the attack cooldown appears to be dependent on framerate. In the Player class, I think self.maxCooldown should be in seconds, and in the update function should probably be

Code: Select all

self.cooldown = self.cooldown - dt
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

ghostwriter wrote:Oops, I was running it in 0.7beta instead of 0.7. It works fine :nyu:
Very nice gui! I was impressed with the continuity and functionality of the menus.
I noticed that the attack cooldown appears to be dependent on framerate. In the Player class, I think self.maxCooldown should be in seconds, and in the update function should probably be

Code: Select all

self.cooldown = self.cooldown - dt
Agreed, I totally overlooked that. Thanks!

Version 101214 adds proper NPCs (the old NPCs are now considered "Signposts") and a few bugfixes, such as ghostwriters's dt suggestion. We also finally rise by a hundredth of a meg, to 2.81 mbs!
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Whoa, polished game.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

TechnoCat wrote:Whoa, polished game.
Thanks! Being obsessive-compulsive means your game will never be done, but at least it can look good in the interim.

Version 101216 brings about proper four player, a few new items, much better internal organization, the now-predictable slew of truly minuscule optimizations, massively improved level editing (scaling actually works now!), and some bug fixes. Also some new bugs, such as the max-speed about-face, as I'm calling it (I may actually turn that bug into a feature, if I can think of a cool rolling animation).
ShadowProtocol
Prole

Post by ShadowProtocol »

Fantastic!

Could you perhaps reflect on your design and implementation processes? This is one of the few times I have ever seen someone start with something small and turn it into something polished and quite good.

I think it would benefit our small community if you could talk about what features you added first, and why. For example, you started with drawing 1 map, then creating a system to link you from 1 map to another, or that you started drawing 1 map, then you created the main character and tested movement and actions on that 1 map before adding enemies and other maps... etc.

Hopefully you understand, and can take some time out to help us all. :ultraglee:
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Version 101218 brings about mostly internal changes, in my continuing effort to make my source more efficient and readable at the same time. This version does have a new collectible item in it, as well as a number of new options in the menus (fullscreen!), and I have laid the groundwork for the next big stage in Kurosuke's development: toggling the terrain to be invisible, and hand-illustrating entire maps. We'll see how that works out for me.

Edit: Also went though and moved a lot of the images and animation sheets to the startup file, which means that the game should be massively less memory-hungry. If anyone is using Kurosuke as a base, please take a gander at the most recent source to see what I mean.

@ShadowProtocol: hm, that might be fun to write. I'll organize my thoughts and get back to you.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Version 101221 contains two new objects, a teleporter (acts just like Portal portals) and a springboard. Both of these will be needed in the next level I'm planning out. I have also made substantial improvements to the NPCs, allowing you to talk to them second times, and getting them to wander around like old men.

Also implemented are some fixes for the lightning attack, which make it interact with the world more reliably, but unfortunately cause this weird behavior where the player shooting will bounce- I assume from colliding with the lightning shape, but that shouldn't happen, since the lightning is a sensor. Could someone with fresh eyes please take a look at this, I'm kinda stumped.

Other implementations since last time are a few improved sprites, better menu navigation (proper history!), a focused lost callback, and a few little odds and ends cleaned up for legibility. I've also noted a few genuinely bewildering bugs, such as an if statement in the pause menu that fails to process properly.

Edit: Oh, and enemies now drop predefined items when killed. It adds a little RPGness to the game.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Version 101223 introduces functional water, slightly tweaked physics and camera control, some new options in the menu, and the traditional round of bug fixes. Little details like a toggle for the FPS counter help the game to look a little classier, while the new vomit() allows for easier debugging by writing a file listing the variables and functions in use.

Internally, things are massively more organized, with almost everything in the the level structure moved into subtables. This allows me to loop through a substantial amount of code that had grown out of control, meaning that anyone wanting to use Kurosuke for their projects should have a much easier time. Shapedata was also substantially cleaned up, with all getVariable()s replaced with simple .variables. This makes the code surprisingly easier to read. I have done some tweaking to how players and AI collide, added some functions to make controlling enemies internally simpler, simplified the level save structure, and renamed some files for future clarity.

Overall a pretty low-profile update, but I've spent the past 6 hours cleaning house internally, so those wanting to play with the source ought to be happy.

Edit: Version 101224 is further cleaning, with a number of variables renamed for clarity/simpler code, a lot of requires moved into different folders, and some tweaks to the level creation code. A few bugfixes for editmode, and a new camera object, for future scene control.