Astropatrolonium - feat. making of video - released on itch.io

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
knorke
Party member

Astropatrolonium - feat. making of video - released on itch.io

Post by knorke »

---
newest DOWNLOAD: https://gutholz.itch.io/astropatrolonium
(windows .exe file and .love file for win/mac/linux)
The old forum attachments are outdated but kept for sake of history.
---

Hello
I just heard about your love engine and decided to give it a try.
So I made a asteroids clone. Hooray :cool:
Its very basic as I just wanted to test how things work etc.
I had a little previous lua experience making some small "widgets" (plugins/scripts) for spring: http://www.springrts.com
Overall it was quite fun to make. Only missed autocomplete/parameter thing for notepad++ but I saw there is a thread with a config file.
Oh and sounds would only play once for some reason but maybe i was doing it wrong.

So here is the video, from downloading love, through testing some examples to a playable game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTF9eZmlgJM
the game itself is not really worth trying unless you want to comment on the code.
if you have seen the end of the video you know what it is like.
sometimes bullets pass through the asteroids because i didnt feel like looking up how squareroot and ^2 work in lua :ehem:
oh and you start with 100 points instead of zero because i love you.

---edit---
added a new attachment with updated version
v2: one keyboard multiplayer, sounds, effects
v3: bot players, menu with clickable buttons
v4: gamepads, etc: see viewtopic.php?p=246397#p246397
Attachments
TOLL_r3_19Aug2010.love
third release
bot players, menu with clickable buttons, trippy background animation
(643.71 KiB) Downloaded 4561 times
TOLLr2.love
second release
(431.82 KiB) Downloaded 2134 times
TOLL.love
i love this game
(14.48 KiB) Downloaded 3184 times
Last edited by knorke on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: Astropatrolonium - first (test) game feat. making of vid

Post by thelinx »

knorke wrote: Oh and sounds would only play once for some reason but maybe i was doing it wrong.
That is a bug with .wav files not ending properly as far as I know.
knorke wrote: So here is the video, from downloading love, through testing some examples to a playable game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTF9eZmlgJM
Really really cool.
knorke wrote: sometimes bullets pass through the asteroids because i didnt feel like looking up how squareroot and ^2 work in lua :ehem:
Power of: num^power or math.pow(num, power)
Square root: num^0.5 or math.sqrt(num)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

code lines: 314
That's pi * 100! :crazy:
Help us help you: attach a .love.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Robin wrote:
code lines: 314
That's pi * 100! :crazy:
a sign :awesome:
thelinx wrote:That is a bug with .wav files not ending properly as far as I know.
Ah thanks for the hints. I created the wave with audiacity so maybe that bugged it.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No, that's a love bug.
Nice job on the timelapse btw, I liked it.
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Awesome idea to record your first(?) experience with LÖVE and show-casing a functional game in just five hours. Perhaps you could (have) also slow(ed) down the video and zoomed in at the points where you've finished some new feature to highlight the progress wrt development time.

The comment on the Youtube page about shots missing the astreoids is because you use Hamiltonian distance instead of Euclidean - it makes the collision area of the astreoids into diamonds ◇. I also felt the astreoids should have hit the outer parts of ship occasionally but instead passed straight through. For a more stable gaming experience on low-end machines, I would also suggest doing the update in batches of some constant (e.g. 3 x 0.2 for dt = 0.63) rather than the highly variable dt.

Having the astroids colliding with each other is quite the game changing feature to the astreoids versions I've played. Navigating those astreoid fields of level 5+ is pretty fun.

Well done!
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

hey thanks for the detailed report :)
yes, that was my first experience with Love (i see where that sentence is going...) but I had some experience with Lua by making a data loger script for a lua scriptable game.
That was mainly just like this though:
function some_callin (list of arguements)
file:write (list of arguements)
end

Also did some games in other languages so "only" the lua+love was new to me.

I knew about the collision bug (just put in something to test) but forget it later/too lazy. :P
Now I am using the Love collision callin functions because I was interessted in that and it allows for players to bounce each other ships around with bullets (ooh spoiler) Should be most accurate I think.
For a more stable gaming experience on low-end machines, I would also suggest doing the update in batches of some constant (e.g. 3 x 0.2 for dt = 0.63) rather than the highly variable dt.
Thanks, that is very valuable. I will look into it!

New version coming soon (I hope) with effects, multiplayer on one keyboard and sound.
theZohnn
Prole

Post by theZohnn »

very cool. the scripting is very complex for your first game, a lot better than i can do.
+1 internet to anyone that helps me! i am a lost little puppy!
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Hoooray update :cool:

updated start post with download of new version: http://love2d.org/forums/download/file.php?id=1769
made a wiki page too because its the in thing to do! http://love2d.org/wiki/Astropatrolonium
At first I was not really sure what kind of game I was going for. Now I think I will make it something that can be played multiplayer with keyboard or multiple gamepads. So no singleplayer campaign or something, just simple pew pew space rock blasting.
  • sounds. uhm.
  • multiplayer on one keyboard!
  • two game modes
    --"Levels:" levels that get more difficult, 3 lives per player.
    --"No Ending:" Unlimited lives but if you die you lose half your points. Reach 1.000 points to win.
    At the moment players can join the game at any moment by pressing their shot key. (ie start with one player, then player 2 can join in midgame)
  • graphic effects with particles
up next:
  • joystick support (actually it works and already tested with 3 players and gamepads but only with hardcoded buttons, needs config menu, boooring :o: )
  • figure out why sometimes there is invisible stuff that deflects bullets and makes rocks change course :ultrashocked:
  • fix all the little quirks
F10 displays some debug and if you put is_ai=true in add_player() you can watch a drunk computer pilot
Tesselode
Party member

Re: Astropatrolonium - feat. making of video - release v2

Post by Tesselode »

Those sounds are..weird. Also, the explosion particles are quite grainy (particularly noticeable in the screenshot on the wiki page) and you can shoot after you respawn until the shield wears off.

Otherwise, good job.