pew pew BOOM!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: pew pew BOOM!

Post by Robin »

Alright, just checking.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Ok, got it working the way I wanted by looking at box2D doc...

It turns out two shapes will not collide only if they have the same group index, and it is a negative number. I was using positive numbers, which in turn does just the opposite (makes two shapes always collide, even if they should not according to their mask bits).

So I'm 1 step closer to getting demo 2. I've done a complete code overhaul on the code of the game, and had lots of funny bugs, as well as some silent crashes.

I'm experimenting with scrolling now.
When I write def I mean function.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I've added version 0.2 on the initial post.

There aren't much new features on this one.
  • It was a major rewrite & reorganization, however. One step backwards in order to make two steps forward. The most important thing is that I've made the first steps towards having AI-controller stuff.
  • I've added boundingboxes to everything when in debug mode. I used the ones provided by box2d in order to calculate mine. Curiously enough, I found out that the bounding boxes provided for polygon shapes are slightly bigger than the shapes they host. Box2D seems to be adding "extra space".
  • Most importantly, my ship doesn't "cheat" any more when rotating. A precise algorithm calculates the tiny corrections that the ship's giroscopes have to do in order to orientate the ship in a natural way. Modules are taken into account properly.
You still can't destroy anything, and it is still impossible to lose. So Mattewburk's daughter can play it safely. :megagrin:

I'd like to start experimenting with scroll and scale now. But for that, I need a reasonable way of transforming the mouse coordinates from "screen" to "game" coordinates.
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

Requires version 0.6.2... What's wrong with being one version behind? :roll:
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi Deecodeuh!

keeping track of different versions of LÖVE would be too difficult for me. I can't do that. I'm sorry.

But I'm curious. Is there anything in particular holding off your upgrade to 0.6.2?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Of course interpretation is hard on the internet, but I think he meant he just forgot to upgrade and now upgraded, but then, I could be wrong (as proven on IRC today :ehem:)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Surprise update!

I intended to concentrate on cameras and scrolls and whatnot, but somehow got excited about quadTrees... and decided to implement my own.

PÄSSION now features an 'ai' module. For now it just includes a QuadTree implementation. I'll put more information about it on the PÄSSION thread.

In the meantime, grab the updated version from the first post (Press TAB to show the quadTree). I've also added a screenshot there.