Oh snap, aliens!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Oh snap, aliens!

Post by nevon »

A new version is up. This one has a lot of performance improvements. Turns out I was doing something really dumb with the collision checking. I was doing something like:

Code: Select all

for i,v in ipairs(projectiles.onscreen) do
    --update positions and stuff
    for n,c in ipairs(enemies.onscreen) do
        --update enemy positions and stuff
        for i,v in ipairs(projectiles.onscreen) do
            checkforcollision(v.position, c.position)
        end
    end
end
Needless to say, that was a bit redundant and even more embarrassing not to notice.

I have also added random debris that can kill both you and the enemies if you run into it. At the moment there's only one type of debris, but more could easily be added in just one line (stray satellites, anyone?). I would like to add more types of enemies as well, but I haven't been able to find any good, free images to use - and I'm way too lazy to make them myself (took me long enough to make all the airforce badges). Last but not least, I added a couple of sound effects that were missing.

As always, let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas.
Chief
Party member

Post by Chief »

oooooh snap! I liked it! Lovely work.
matthewburk
Prole

Post by matthewburk »

Grats, looks nice.
nevon

Post by nevon »

Updated to version 0.3 today (ok, maybe it's not worth a 0.X-incrementation yet, but IT'S MY GAME AND I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!! MOAHAHAHA!)
With this release I added the first of (hopefully) many powerups to come: a forcefield that protects your ship from both asteroids and enemies!
However, I also added a new way to fail. In the lower-right corner you can see a map of earth as seen from space (only flattened out). When the game starts the world is lit up with lights, but as you let enemies get by you, they go down to the planet and wreak havoc, and the lights quite literally go out for earth's inhabitants. Once the planet is completely dark, the aliens have killed off any trace of human civilization, and you have lost the game.

In the future I plan to make it so that earth slowly regenerates itself, as long as you don't let any more aliens past you.

You can download the .love file from here: http://github.com/downloads/Nevon/Oh-sn ... s-0.3.love

However, I will probably be adding fixes and stuff fairly soon, so I recommend getting the development version.
gurke93
Prole

Post by gurke93 »

Can anyone explain this screen? In every Love-Application i am only able to see white rectangles instead of the real images, I am using Love 0.6.2 under Ubuntu 9.10.

The curser Image is stil workin you can only see it on the picture because of the ubuntu snapshot function.

Please Help.
Attachments
Only white rectangles instead of menu-pictures.
Only white rectangles instead of menu-pictures.
Bildschirmfoto.png (344.04 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
nevon

Post by nevon »

gurke93 wrote:Can anyone explain this screen? In every Love-Application i am only able to see white rectangles instead of the real images, I am using Love 0.6.2 under Ubuntu 9.10.

The curser Image is stil workin you can only see it on the picture because of the ubuntu snapshot function.

Please Help.
That's odd. There is a problem with some graphics cards not being able to display images which have non-power-of-two sizes, but all my images are padded to be powers of two - so there shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Unless I misunderstood the issue, and you actually need to have perfectly square images with each side being a power of two. So that 64x128 wouldn't work, but 128x128 would. That would explain why some images work for you (like the square pointer and the earth). Either way, this is something that should be fixed in Löve rather than in every individual game.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I believe some rare graphics drivers are super picky and want square images of power of 2. On one of my parent's laptops I couldn't get some images to show even after making it square though.
gurke93
Prole

Post by gurke93 »

Is LÖVE able to fix the issue?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

This is not an issue with LÖVE, it is something between OpenGL, the video drivers and the video card.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:EDIT: Unless I misunderstood the issue, and you actually need to have perfectly square images with each side being a power of two. So that 64x128 wouldn't work, but 128x128 would. That would explain why some images work for you (like the square pointer and the earth). Either way, this is something that should be fixed in Löve rather than in every individual game.
For me that is not necessary. 64x128 would work for me.
Help us help you: attach a .love.