Evolwar [LD24]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
headchant
Party member

Evolwar [LD24]

Post by headchant »

Participated in the lududm dare game jam last weekend. The theme was evolution and I came up with this little round based game. Saw some great games made with löve and I am curious what the löve community thinks.

Controls:

Arrow Keys: move the selection
x: select unit/walk to
c: abort
v: next unit
return: end turn

Download

Latest Version: .love win osx

To Ludum Dare entry
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Evolwar [LD24]

Post by bartbes »

I saw this game earlier, and I enjoyed my time with it a lot. I also noticed you said you were fixing it up, so I'm not sure whether you fixed my control gripes or not, but even with them this game is awesome as hell, and I'd like to see you turn this into a more complete game.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Fun game! But the controls are a bit wierd. Play something like Final Fantasy Tactics.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Wow, that looks pretty good.
Do love the arts.
Taking it, feedback soon.

EDIT: Wow. That was sooo exciting.
Well I do not have much critics To me, controls was easy to cope with.
As I said before, I did enjoyed the arts, and the music. The word that probably fits here is "cute".

Have you plans on to polish it further ? Adding new stuff ?

But, to summup, you really did well on that. Good luck in the contest.
That's certainly one of the best entries i've been testing so far.
And Yay, you did used my old and ugly LuAstar ^^. Hope that went well.
Last edited by Roland_Yonaba on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Well, I have played your game so I can actually post something useful, and not just state that I intend to play, thereby wasting your time (and a few kilobytes).

I thought it was great. I enjoyed the music you must know! The theme for the player turn reminds of the E.V.O. soundtrack (which isn't exactly a compliment, but I mean good by it!). LD project or not, I think you should work on this and tidy up the loose ends. The controls are a bit awkward, yet surprisingly I still managed to cope with them, it seems that the controls do use some sort of 'system' which I picked up on, even if it is a little odd.

I did some searching after playing and heard that there's a newer version with health bars and stuff too. That sounds good; without it the game has this extra memory puzzle element to it. I hope they display for the eggs too. Also, I would love to see a boss or something at the end.

My favourite LD24 game so far, really like it.

Edit: Health bars in the video! Yay!
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I hear a lot about the controls being awkward, but could you be more specific? Mouse controls might solve that. So in the latest version I tried to implement mouse support. It isn't perfect yet, but I think that it makes the game a lot more accessible. What do you think? I updated the download links in first post.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

The thing that bothered me most is that you couldn't change your first move, if you wanted to go right, instead of left, you had to cancel your move first, then start a new one to the right, instead of just moving the selection over your unit. Similarly, if it would just allow me to go over every square within range with a correct path showing, that would be more awesome than having to "draw the path".
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

Yeah, the 'can't cancel your first move' problem is fixed(was the first thing I did after the compo ended). You are right, I should use pathfinding for the arrows instead of the 'draw path'-stuff, which makes moving around right now unnecessary complicated. Great idea!
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

This game is awesome!
MrTP
Prole

Post by MrTP »

Amazing game quite fun to play

Theres a problem in Terrain generation that leads to endless games sometimes though

Its impossible to attack or move the blue dinosaur
I havent peeked into the source yet but this shouldn`t be too hard to fix