First Game: Pholley

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ishkabible
Party member

Re: First Game: Pholley

Post by ishkabible »

why does the AI hit the ball so hard? I have no chance to even react; the AI hits the ball and then gains a point. that needs to be fixed.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

ishkabible wrote:why does the AI hit the ball so hard? I have no chance to even react; the AI hits the ball and then gains a point. that needs to be fixed.
This.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Much better! Now you should consider these points!

Although the player is more easily controlled now, it is still difficult to win. You could fix this by giving the ball a tendency to move towards the opponents half when you hit it. Many times I hit the ball into the edge of screen without intention.

The AI is a lot smoother now, well done on that. However, I have witnessed it 'double-jumping' and even saw it do a complete circle around the ball in mid-ait before hitting it. Aside from being unrealistic, it was pretty cool to watch haha.

I think the player can do these double jumps too, and there's still no restart timer. Overall though, this is great and you've taken advice on board properly. That's cool.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
paranoiax
Prole

Post by paranoiax »

Lafolie wrote:Much better! Now you should consider these points!

Although the player is more easily controlled now, it is still difficult to win. You could fix this by giving the ball a tendency to move towards the opponents half when you hit it. Many times I hit the ball into the edge of screen without intention.

The AI is a lot smoother now, well done on that. However, I have witnessed it 'double-jumping' and even saw it do a complete circle around the ball in mid-ait before hitting it. Aside from being unrealistic, it was pretty cool to watch haha.

I think the player can do these double jumps too, and there's still no restart timer. Overall though, this is great and you've taken advice on board properly. That's cool.
Thanks for your Feedback.

Great idea on moving the ball with a tendency towards the oppents half. But to do that i have to check for a collision between the player's body and the ball's body. Unfortunately i have no idea how to do that yet as I dont understand world:setCallbacks :o:

Restart Timer will be added btw ;)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Unfortunately I have 0 experience with Box2D. However I would suggest that you only move it backwards (the wrong way) if it touches the back 25% of the character, the rest should sent it forward at varying angles. The maths for this is quite simple, but I don't know how to apply it to Box2D.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
paranoiax
Prole

Post by paranoiax »

Ok. so there's a new update:

The following things have changed:
  • -added placeholder graphics
    -improved AI's jump behaviour
    -removed double jump feature
    -added TEsound Library
    -added some placeholder sounds
    -changed filesystem
    -added delay between rounds
    -some smaller bug fixes...
What's next:
  • -check collision between player(s) and ball with HardonCollider to play sound on collision.
You can also follow the Project on GitHub
Attachments
pholley.love
(881.91 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Starts looking good! Keep up.
You should attach the last release in your first post, by the way.

EDIT: The *.love file should be move in the download section on your Github.