Love.js - A Direct Emscripten Port

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
Tanner
Party member

Re: Love.js - A Direct Emscripten Port

Post by Tanner »

Ulydev wrote:Just wanted to pass by and say a huge thanks for this project. Does it support shaders, and/or networking through sockets?
It supports OpenGL ES 2.0. Shaders have been tested and work. I haven't tested socket-based networking but emscripten definitely supports websockets so I would imagine that works as well.
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Tanner wrote:
Ulydev wrote:Just wanted to pass by and say a huge thanks for this project. Does it support shaders, and/or networking through sockets?
It supports OpenGL ES 2.0. Shaders have been tested and work. I haven't tested socket-based networking but emscripten definitely supports websockets so I would imagine that works as well.
Pinch me, it has to be a dream.
gomez
Citizen

Post by gomez »

Ulydev wrote:
Tanner wrote:
Pinch me, it has to be a dream.
It is real :awesome:
Hey dude :D
Do you want to protect earth from an apocalypse ? Me too o/
Check my new game here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81001
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

FYI, websockets can only do TCP. So enet as well as luasocket's UDP APIs are out of the question (and TCP generally causes a lot of problems for action-oriented realtime games).
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Not just that, websockets aren't raw sockets either. They have a specific protocol.
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

What slime and bartbes are saying is true, of course, but I worry that it's more disheartening than it needs to be. For simple 2D games (AKA the majority of Love games) TCP websockets will performed quite well. Consider http://agar.io/.

Edit: A build was released today that fixed `love.audio.setVolume` and `love.audio.getVolume`. Also, I ported Mari0 which is, IMO, one of the best games ever made with Love. http://tannerrogalsky.com/mari0/
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Tanner, you have outdone yourself once again!

http://50.116.63.25/public/getoffcat-lovejs/

Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
unlimitedbacon
Prole

Post by unlimitedbacon »

Tanner wrote:
It gets stuck for me on creating the first shader. My project:
https://github.com/unlimitedbacon/MiddleCommand

It stops on main.lua line 28. Not sure what else I can do to figure out whats going wrong.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

unlimitedbacon wrote:
Tanner wrote:
It gets stuck for me on creating the first shader. My project:
https://github.com/unlimitedbacon/MiddleCommand

It stops on main.lua line 28. Not sure what else I can do to figure out whats going wrong.
OpenGles shaders are much more strict than Opengl shaders. You will have to double check that you are doing everything up to spec.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

BobbyJones is right I think – in this case I believe the issue is this line in explosionShader.glsl:

Code: Select all

if (canvasPixel.r != 0 && canvasPixel.g != 0) {
In GLSL, integer numbers and floating-point numbers are two distinct types. Desktop GLSL will implicitly convert an integer literal to floating point when comparing with or assigning to a floating point variable, but GLSL ES (the OpenGL ES version of GLSL) won't.

To fix it, change that line to this in order to make the literal numbers a floating point type:

Code: Select all

if (canvasPixel.r != 0.0 && canvasPixel.g != 0.0) {
As a side note, you can pass a filepath directly into love.graphics.newShader and it will load it. :)