Love.js - A Direct Emscripten Port

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Love.js - A Direct Emscripten Port

Post by Davidobot »

ivan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:53 am The love file has to be in the same folder as the player until we figure this out.
Happy Wednesday :) I attached a prototype thing I quickly whipped up that allows anyone to drag-and-drop a .love file into your player and it will run. It's incredibly ugly and I hacked together some code to make it work, but it works :) There is also a bunch of needless checks, and I disabled caching (bc I didn't have time to test it) and fallback to compatibility version (bc it needs to be slightly smarter than changing URL)

There is also a live version on my website: https://davidobot.net/lovejs/lovejsplayer/index.html

EDIT: I just want to add that nothing gets uploaded anywhere and it's pretty fast as the browser will be loading from your local FS.

EDIT 2: you can make compat work by probably pre-loading (depending on the user agent) the correct js files.
Attachments
lovejsplayer.zip
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 810 times
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
gianmichele
Citizen

Post by gianmichele »

yep yep yep, definitely working. I love it!
Popolon
Prole

Post by Popolon »

Nice job ! On Linux, it works perfectly on Falkon browser (Webkit based) but not at all on Firefox.
The Compatibility version work with Firefox.
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

Popolon wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 pm Nice job ! On Linux, it works perfectly on Falkon browser (Webkit based) but not at all on Firefox.
The Compatibility version work with Firefox.
I guess it doesn't work with Firefox simply because it's missing the required headers:
In Firefox, the normal version can throw Uncaught ReferenceError: SharedArrayBuffer is not defined. Fix is discussed here. TL;DR Enable the following HTML reponse headers on the website you're hosting your project on:

Cross-Origin-Opener-Policy: same-origin
Cross-Origin-Embedder-Policy: require-corp
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

Hey guys.

I noticed Zabuyaki stopped working with love.js (remember, it is auto-refreshed from sources, so it's auto-updated regularly). The error visible in the browser console is: "Uncaught RangeError: source array is too long"

According to my tests, it seems related to the size of the game.data file. It seems it got too big for love.js to handle. Now our game is 9478 KB zipped, and doesn't work with love.js anymore. I recompressed it manually using 7zip, using the Ultra compression level, and that slims it down to 9284 KB, enabling it to work again with love.js.

Is this a known issue?
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Have you tried defining the allocated memory?
If you are using the love.js player you can change the memory using the &m= argument ?g=game.love&m=MEMORY
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

Actually, it works with the love.js player without any arguments. I guess it does something different.

For what it's worth, I'm on a love.js version from September 2020, but the commits since then don't seem related to my problem, so it doesn't look like it's worth updating to try and fix my issue.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I have a followup update on the LoveJS Web player.
It can now load files from arbitrary locations:

Code: Select all

example.com/lovejsplayer/?g=path/to/my/game.love
The supplied path is relative to the lovejsplayer's install directory (cross-domain requests will not work)
Some additional arguments:

Code: Select all

&f=1         disables the fullscreen button
&r=1         disables caching
&m=10000000  desired memory to allocate in bytes
&c=1         compatibility mode
Looks like everything works fine although we are still getting some 'out of memory' crashes here and there.
Will post another update if I figure out a good way to handle this.
Attachments
lovejsplayer.zip
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 742 times
abhimonk
Prole

Post by abhimonk »

Hello all!
I've been using love.js to port a game to the web and it's worked great 99% of the time, but a few of my players are getting the following error on firefox:

DOMException: The current transaction exceeded its quota
limitations." at love.js line 9, character 324520

Does this have to do with the game's size? I think it's only ~10mb or so. If I go through the code in love.js, the error occurs on the line where love.js calls 'FS.syncFS'.

I can't reproduce this error myself, but some of my players are getting this error on the armorgames version of my love.js game. Any tips? Is there a way around this error? Would shrinking my assets help?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

abhimonk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:45 pm Hello all!
I've been using love.js to port a game to the web and it's worked great 99% of the time, but a few of my players are getting the following error on firefox:

DOMException: The current transaction exceeded its quota
limitations." at love.js line 9, character 324520

Does this have to do with the game's size? I think it's only ~10mb or so. If I go through the code in love.js, the error occurs on the line where love.js calls 'FS.syncFS'.

I can't reproduce this error myself, but some of my players are getting this error on the armorgames version of my love.js game. Any tips? Is there a way around this error? Would shrinking my assets help?
Maybe increase the memory allocated to the game with the -m flag?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster