SOME THINGS

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
rokit boy
Party member

SOME THINGS

Post by rokit boy »

• Filesystem
    Not sure if there is any way of using the LOVE filesystem or the lua built in filesystem but I saw a thread saying it's not working.
  • Font
    Couple of issues:
    I know that this will be hard, but ttf fonts would be great.
    When using image fonts, on portrait view, glyphs show up (1 or 2 px)
    I was going to suggest otf, but android doesn't support them.
    Font:getWidth/Height has a minimal prefix of 3, when in LOVE it's 1, i suggest a change.
  • Textboxes
    This should be easy, but adding a textbox api so you can make the phone's default keypad pop up onscreen and type (also allow users to set limitations e.g only numbers or no symbols)
  • Missing stuff
    I'll list them and edit as I go through
    Canvases (but they won't be implemented due to limitations, a workaround would be good)
    love.graphics.rotate
Also, I am hoping to learn Android SDK and If you will be accepting help, I will be more than happy to.
I will edit this list when I find more stuff. I'm not rushing you, I'm assuming you didn't know some of these.
u wot m8
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: SOME THINGS

Post by T-Bone »

I agree about filesystem, that's really important for all sorts of games and is one of the biggest still missing features. The others, however, are things I would consider low priority. Canvases are 0.8 so they won't be relevant until a move to 0.8 is made. And you rarely need them, SpriteBatches work fine. Android keyboard doesn't feel like something LÖVE would have built in... But it'd be awesome actually. But I consider multitouch to be a much more important feature.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The Android keyboard would probably need to be modal, so that a game can request a line of text from LÖVE-Android, which then turns on the keyboard and pauses the game, and when the player hits Enter, returns a string.

Something like that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

rokit boy wrote:
  • Filesystem
    Not sure if there is any way of using the LOVE filesystem or the lua built in filesystem but I saw a thread saying it's not working.
  • Font
    Couple of issues:
    I know that this will be hard, but ttf fonts would be great.
    When using image fonts, on portrait view, glyphs show up (1 or 2 px)
    I was going to suggest otf, but android doesn't support them.
    Font:getWidth/Height has a minimal prefix of 3, when in LOVE it's 1, i suggest a change.
  • Textboxes
    This should be easy, but adding a textbox api so you can make the phone's default keypad pop up onscreen and type (also allow users to set limitations e.g only numbers or no symbols)
  • Missing stuff
    I'll list them and edit as I go through
    Canvases (but they won't be implemented due to limitations, a workaround would be good)
    love.graphics.rotate
Also, I am hoping to learn Android SDK and If you will be accepting help, I will be more than happy to.
I will edit this list when I find more stuff. I'm not rushing you, I'm assuming you didn't know some of these.
Filesystem is a big TODO thing on our list. Just a matter of time that we will have time to implement it.
Font should actually use freetype2, but it did not work with our port. We changed it to use normal fonts, but maybe we will use a different freetype port in the future. I think we could simply use the one of Android, as far as I remember there is one included.

We h ave not yet started to add special phone features. We want to finish the normal features first and add only those things that are necessary to reach this goal.
By the way, we port the engine and do not reimplement it. Our SDK code is only a few hundred line of code including xml, most things are done with the NDK.
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

Robin wrote:The Android keyboard would probably need to be modal, so that a game can request a line of text from LÖVE-Android, which then turns on the keyboard and pauses the game, and when the player hits Enter, returns a string.

Something like that.
That's what I meant. Of course it will only be for touch screen only androids since the others have a keyboard.
u wot m8
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

What about the glyphs that show up when in portrait view?
u wot m8
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

rokit boy wrote:What about the glyphs that show up when in portrait view?
Do you have a love file that I can use to check this? What make things much easier...
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

Moe wrote:
rokit boy wrote:What about the glyphs that show up when in portrait view?
Do you have a love file that I can use to check this? What make things much easier...
shoot the hookers
u wot m8