Move on to 0.8.0?

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Move on to 0.8.0?

Post by T-Bone »

Moe wrote:Nearly always when a new Love version was released, all of our games were broken. But if this is not the case with 0.8.0, we can drop support for 0.7.2. I simply didn't expect this.
At least everything I've written works well. 0.8.0 is my "daily driver" now and it works just great. There are of course some differences. One thing I've noticed is that love.timer.sleep now takes seconds as the argument instead of milliseconds, which causes issues :P

But generally, most stuff work just fine in 0.8.0. And since 0.8.0 is like the official version now, it seems rather pointless to support 0.7.2.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

T-Bone wrote:And besides, 0.8.0 is very backwards compatible with 0.7.2.
Heh, just try porting games with scaled vector graphics...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:
T-Bone wrote:And besides, 0.8.0 is very backwards compatible with 0.7.2.
Heh, just try porting games with scaled vector graphics...
Didn't even know LÖVE supported vector graphics :neko:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

T-Bone wrote:Didn't even know LÖVE supported vector graphics :neko:
love.graphics.line
love.graphics.circle
You get the idea.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:
T-Bone wrote:Didn't even know LÖVE supported vector graphics :neko:
love.graphics.line
love.graphics.circle
You get the idea.
Oh, of course. I thought you meant some sort of SVG-support. But what has changed? The wiki doesn't mention anything..? I use mostly love.graphics.rectangle in my game, but it looks mostly the same on 0.8.0 in comparison with 0.7.2 (I think lines look slightly thicker on 0.8.0).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

In pre-0.8.0 time, the line drawing implementation was broken. Among other things that meant that if you scaled a line, only its endpoints move about, the thickness remains the same. In 0.8.0, the thickness scales as well.

I relied on that behaviour for a game. In 0.8.0, there is no way to get the old behaviour back. Now my only choice is to rewrite my code, such that I do all the scaling myself, instead of letting LÖVE or OpenGL or whatever it was that did the dirty work handle it.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:In pre-0.8.0 time, the line drawing implementation was broken. Among other things that meant that if you scaled a line, only its endpoints move about, the thickness remains the same. In 0.8.0, the thickness scales as well.

I relied on that behaviour for a game. In 0.8.0, there is no way to get the old behaviour back. Now my only choice is to rewrite my code, such that I do all the scaling myself, instead of letting LÖVE or OpenGL or whatever it was that did the dirty work handle it.
I noticed that as well, but it didn't break my game. In fact, it was an improvement in my opinion :neko:

But this "issue" isn't something that I suspect will break many games, so I don't think it should prevent moving love-native-android to 0.8.0.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

I see it like T-Bone, an actual bug that was "exploited" should not be a show stopper...