love-native-android: bugs

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Moe
Party member

Re: love-native-android: bugs

Post by Moe »

T-Bone wrote:1. love.audio crashes, and when it doesn't crash the entire app, it may still simply stop playing sounds at random.
There was an unintialised variable (a pointer which made things worse) that caused many other issues. Should actually be fixed, my sound examples worked fine. I am not sure if the tests were sufficient...
2. love.graphics.setLineWidth() does not seem to work, lines are always one pixel wide.
Not fixed.
3. love.event.push('q') does not seem to work.
Very low priority since most devices do not own a keyboard. Use "Back" instead, "Home" if you want to be able to resume later on (due to a bug not possible. See also bug #4). This key behaviour is standard behaviour and you are free to change it.
4. If the phone's screen is turned off, things crash.
Not fixed. Should be the same issue as all the others "cannot return" errors. Problem located, just too lazy to fix it yet. :joker:
5. Writing/reading files (with love.filesystem) does not seem to work. I'm not sure if files are written or not; if they are, you can't read them with "require".
Not yet fixed. Might be a permission issue. Or some "read from apk" issue. I have to investigate on that, but should not be a big issue.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Moe wrote:
T-Bone wrote:1. love.audio crashes, and when it doesn't crash the entire app, it may still simply stop playing sounds at random.
There was an unintialised variable (a pointer which made things worse) that caused many other issues. Should actually be fixed, my sound examples worked fine. I am not sure if the tests were sufficient...
2. love.graphics.setLineWidth() does not seem to work, lines are always one pixel wide.
Not fixed.
3. love.event.push('q') does not seem to work.
Very low priority since most devices do not own a keyboard. Use "Back" instead, "Home" if you want to be able to resume later on (due to a bug not possible. See also bug #4). This key behaviour is standard behaviour and you are free to change it.
4. If the phone's screen is turned off, things crash.
Not fixed. Should be the same issue as all the others "cannot return" errors. Problem located, just too lazy to fix it yet. :joker:
5. Writing/reading files (with love.filesystem) does not seem to work. I'm not sure if files are written or not; if they are, you can't read them with "require".
Not yet fixed. Might be a permission issue. Or some "read from apk" issue. I have to investigate on that, but should not be a big issue.
I am happy to hear about improvements in the audio departement, I will test it out :)

About point 3, I don't really understand your argumentation. Who says you have to press a key on a keyboard to quit the game? Most games on Android either have a "quit" button in the interface, typically on the title screen, that closes your game, or they ask you if you want to quit the game when you press the back button on the title screen. For both of these situations, you need a way to close the game from within the game.

EDIT: By the way, the source on github hasn't changed in a month. I suppose the audio fixes haven't been uploaded yet..?
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

Maybe I have something wrong in my mind, I mostly use love in short time projects, so I am not too familiar to its API. Does this command simulate a key press to q, or is it a special event to quit? My answer was for the first case, the second one needs a short implementation.

Actually the sound issues should been fixed since that time? If not, can you please provide a crash log?
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Moe wrote:Maybe I have something wrong in my mind, I mostly use love in short time projects, so I am not too familiar to its API. Does this command simulate a key press to q, or is it a special event to quit? My answer was for the first case, the second one needs a short implementation.

Actually the sound issues should been fixed since that time? If not, can you please provide a crash log?
love.event.push('q') simply quits the game. However, this only works on 0.7.2, on 0.8.0 you typically use love.event.quit or love.event.push('quit').

I will test the audio capabilites of the current one then. I think I remember it now working, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yes, it works! I did notice one thing though: Android's built in audio volume controls don't seem to work while playing. Love-native-android should probably not read input from the volume buttons... Or if it does, it should preferably be an easy thing to disable. But it's a minor issue really.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

T-Bone wrote:love.event.push('q') simply quits the game. However, this only works on 0.7.2, on 0.8.0 you typically use love.event.quit or love.event.push('quit').
I think we do not hand this quit event over to Android. Should not be a big deal to fix it.
EDIT: Yes, it works! I did notice one thing though: Android's built in audio volume controls don't seem to work while playing. Love-native-android should probably not read input from the volume buttons... Or if it does, it should preferably be an easy thing to disable. But it's a minor issue really.
Actually we bypass the Android sound system and I would have been surprised if the volume control had worked somewhere :cool:
hagish
Citizen

Post by hagish »

I just implemented the volume change via device volume buttons. The device volume is independent from the ingame listener volume so that the game can not overwrite the final device master volume but still adjust listener and source volumes.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

hagish wrote:I just implemented the volume change via device volume buttons. The device volume is independent from the ingame listener volume so that the game can not overwrite the final device master volume but still adjust listener and source volumes.
Totally works! Good job!