Android emulator

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
ongamex
Prole

Android emulator

Post by ongamex »

Hello... This is my 1st topic so I'll introduce myself.
I'm 19 years old, I'm studing applied math... I program in C++ for 5 years. I don't make games, I just program some micro-elements that are needed for a game... However I have one 'finished game' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csNjsGEQEDQ ...bla bla...

I'm new to Lua and programming for mobile devices. I'm currently trying Love-Andoid. It looks pretty cool, but the problems is that I'm using my mobile device to try the code.... Is there some kind of ANDROID emulator that can run Love applications?

PS: Sorry for my bad English
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: Android emulator

Post by thelinx »

There is, yes. See the Android dev docs.

Note that it's very slow, and it might be a better idea to just develop your game on your PC's version of LÖVE and then port it to your phone.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

you could try this in a virtual machine: http://www.android-x86.org/
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Most of all, relax. The version of Love-Android you can try out right now uses luaj and has numerous bugs and inconsistencies with the normal version of LÖVE. You can start developing your game with normal LÖVE, and when the native version is usable, try it out.

The Android emulator that Google provides works but it is really slow. It's also not 100% consistent with how Android works on an actual device, so you should always use a phone or tablet for final testing.
brianboylan
Prole

Post by brianboylan »

thelinx wrote:There is, yes. See the Android dev docs.

Note that it's very slow, and it might be a better idea to just develop your game on your PC's version of LÖVE and then port it to your phone.
is there much difference in the game once you port it to an android device?
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

a real device is not comparable to the emulator. The emulator was nice with the first releases of Android but with the evolvement of devices it got more or less useless. There is a chance that the emulator improves: Google works on an x86-based one that uses virtualisation. Recent SDKs should have it.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Moe wrote:a real device is not comparable to the emulator. The emulator was nice with the first releases of Android but with the evolvement of devices it got more or less useless. There is a chance that the emulator improves: Google works on an x86-based one that uses virtualisation. Recent SDKs should have it.
Ya maybe not, but better than the emulator is the x86 projects ISO's that let LiveCD or install it in virtual machines. Only discovered by accident some days ago and I got a bit astonished. Works very well.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

coffee wrote:
Moe wrote:a real device is not comparable to the emulator. The emulator was nice with the first releases of Android but with the evolvement of devices it got more or less useless. There is a chance that the emulator improves: Google works on an x86-based one that uses virtualisation. Recent SDKs should have it.
Maybe not, but better than the emulator is the x86 projects ISO's that let LiveCD or install it in virtual machines. Only discovered by accident some days ago and I got a bit astonished. Works very well.
I have followed the project for a while now and it is awesome. I saw one video when AMD presented their upcoming low-end platform with this port and it looked like all current tablets are very slow compared to it :awesome: