[GAME] My Interesting Little Frog

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Reenen
Prole

Re: [GAME] My Interesting Little Frog

Post by Reenen »

How about an "exit/restart" button on death?

Is there an end? Or timer?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

T-Bone wrote:
coffee wrote:Fun game T-Bone but I had some strange errors. After playing some seconds and not in same place the game just crashes (window closes itself). Couldn't figure a pattern here sorry. Crashed 4 times...
Really? That's wierd. Are you playing on Android or computer? This is something I'll look into seriously. If it's something I've messed up, I want to learn what I did wrong. If it's a bug in love-android, it's good to learn about it.
I'm using OSX T-Bone and L0.72. I really can't figure that crashes and don't understand why I'm the only one having it just like time random.

EDITED this helps?

Code: Select all

12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	love[1511]	*** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x80ae40 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	love[1511]	*** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x80af80 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	love[1511]	*** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0xa058f0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
12/15/11 11:54:15 AM	[0x0-0x6d06d].org.love2d.love[1511]	You suck, man!
or

Code: Select all

12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	love[1511]	*** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x80ae40 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	love[1511]	*** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x80af80 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	love[1511]	*** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0xa058f0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	/Users/xxxx/Desktop/love.app/Contents/MacOS/love[1511]	CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
12/15/11 11:53:47 AM	/Users/xxxx/Desktop/love.app/Contents/MacOS/love[1511]	CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
12/15/11 11:54:15 AM	[0x0-0x6d06d].org.love2d.love[1511]	You suck, man!
EDITED2: WAIT! ARE YOU QUITTING THE GAME IF WE FAIL THE JUMP? oops... my mistake... :cry:
Last edited by coffee on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

I thought it was weird but I understood it. Normally crashes give blue screens xD
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Ah, yes, I haven't gotten so far yet :P I was going to put a high-score screen there when you die, and then returning you to the main menu. I've updated it now, so that it returns to the main menu instead :ppPPppPpPPpPpp0

Ellohir wrote:I thought it was weird but I understood it. Normally crashes give blue screens xD
Actually, I've seen LÖVE games crash by simply closing. I've only seen it when you create too many love.physics objects, but it can happen.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Hee heee, I thought that was really extreme quitting so I thought something was really crashing the game. Anyway you have here a nice game, and I love the fake-childish like gfx.
Want a suggestion T-Bone? Please add later a desktop option that instead of put buttons so far (nice to use thumbs in android's I know) put both buttons side to side for a short mouse travel (or add button commands). And perhaps ">" and ">>" could be more intuitive than "1" and "2".
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

coffee wrote:Hee heee, I thought that was really extreme quitting so I thought something was really crashing the game. Anyway you have here a nice game, and I love the fake-childish like gfx.
Want a suggestion T-Bone? Please add later a desktop option that instead of put buttons so far (nice to use thumbs in android's I know) put both buttons side to side for a short mouse travel (or add button commands). And perhaps ">" and ">>" could be more intuitive than "1" and "2".
I agree that '>' and '>>' could be better. When it comes to computer compatability, I wrote this game specifically for love-android, just as a test to see what it was like to work with love-android as it is right now. Sure, I can add keyboard controls as well but I don't really see the point. For a more serious project, I'll probably make it both for android and computers from the beginning.

EDIT: Now you can press the keys "1" and "2" on a keyboard (:pppPPppPPpPPPpPPpP) to control.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Coffee, those 'errors' you reported are known and non-fatal.. Or at least, they were, maybe anjo's forgotten about them by now.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

very cool, I just tried LÖVE-Android out for the first time with this game. Works perfectly.

also on the compatibility issue I have a few insights:
1) the only thing on a computer you can't do easily that you can on an android is click buttons quickly(as in MILF). I could be wrong but I haven't thought of anything else yet.
2) there are a few things you can easily do with a computer that you can't with an adoird. first off all, you can't drag a mouse without pressing. next, some androids can't use the keyboard easily because they don't have keypads(on screen keypad is used instead) so relaying on key presses is a bad idea.

if you had a library that could map on screen button presses(or vice versa) to keys you can solve issue number 1. if your game dose not require you to drag a mouse while intermittently clicking and doesn't require keyboard then the games should be compatible.

solutions:
*games that require a D-Pad might make a D-Pad overlay on the screen(out of the way that is) this pretty well works with any key board issues.
*games that require the movement of mouse should not require the mouse to be released during this movement; kinda hard to get around that one.

any way my point is that only excessive use of certain features creates an uncompatible game.