Big Rogue-like Project

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
prototypez
Prole

Big Rogue-like Project

Post by prototypez »

Okay. This seems out of the blue. I get that. But, I want to create a community rogue-like. I want to make it the best there ever was. Who's with me? Who has the dedication of the Tarn of Dwarf Fortress fame? Who has the chutzpah of the Dredmore folks? Who has the arrogance of the NetHack dev community? Well, not me, that's for sure. But I know that this framework is the best and this framework's users are the friendliest people I've ever had a chance to meet online. So who would join such an effort?
I love dashes... -- omnomnomnom oishii desu!
coffee
Party member

Re: Big Rogue-like Project

Post by coffee »

prototypez wrote:Okay. This seems out of the blue. I get that. But, I want to create a community rogue-like. I want to make it the best there ever was. Who's with me? Who has the dedication of the Tarn of Dwarf Fortress fame? Who has the chutzpah of the Dredmore folks? Who has the arrogance of the NetHack dev community? Well, not me, that's for sure. But I know that this framework is the best and this framework's users are the friendliest people I've ever had a chance to meet online. So who would join such an effort?
I'm not a fan of any of those cited games but I played a lot of rogues and love all things related to it. Would be a pleasure help whenever I can and give my feedback to the project.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I'd love to help too
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

I'd be more than happy to help. :awesome:
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

sure; if I saw something interesting I would get involved. that's how open source projects work.
prototypez
Prole

Post by prototypez »

coffee wrote:
prototypez wrote:Okay. This seems out of the blue. I get that. But, I want to create a community rogue-like. I want to make it the best there ever was. Who's with me? Who has the dedication of the Tarn of Dwarf Fortress fame? Who has the chutzpah of the Dredmore folks? Who has the arrogance of the NetHack dev community? Well, not me, that's for sure. But I know that this framework is the best and this framework's users are the friendliest people I've ever had a chance to meet online. So who would join such an effort?
I'm not a fan of any of those cited games but I played a lot of rogues and love all things related to it. Would be a pleasure help whenever I can and give my feedback to the project.
Hrm... not a fan of ANY of the above? What games in this genotype are you fond of?
prototypez
Prole

Post by prototypez »

Anyhoo... the Hello World part is pretty easy, だな. Guess the whole, um, game is gonna be the hard part. Like most community projects, though, input is valued and infinitely long arguments about whether the title of the project should be capitalized(or not) will predictably hold the actual coding off for several years...
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

prototypez wrote:
coffee wrote:
Hrm... not a fan of ANY of the above? What games in this genotype are you fond of?
Lol, sorry you just quote a bad combination for my tastes.

IMHO DF is too complex and geeky (you can read all I think about it here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4744) and also about rogues in general.

Dredmore would seem go in right direction for a modern fun rogue but I didn't liked the interface/hud and the way of play it.

About Nethack I never liked it how the maps/corridor system is generated/displayed. Also be too random and uncertain that our character have success made me avoid it.

I like almost the rest of roguelike world. Only talking about active projects Stone Soup and Brogue are ATM my favorite and probably the most polished. Tome would be also be if from beta to beta wasn't a always a surprise, something important remade or a pandora box. But there is a lot of good/less know rogues with very good things and ideas.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Also 2 more questions:
Have you started the game?
What help do you need ( sound, graphics, programming )?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Davidobot wrote:Also 2 more questions:
Have you started the game?
What help do you need ( sound, graphics, programming )?
Was your rogue abandoned? Almost two months without any news about it. You seem have three games in the forge. Amazing how you can still help in another projects. That's something. :)