Need some help guys!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
InsaneWizard
Prole

Need some help guys!

Post by InsaneWizard »

reetings dear forum LOVE2D. I am not an English-speaking person, if there are any misunderstandings or mistakes I apologize. First of all I want to sGreetings ay that I'm a newbie in programming. But I always wanted to develop games. And I understand that programming requires mathematical thinking. I'm not sure about that.
A year ago I started to learn Lua and LOVE2D. But I gave up because of university. But now I want to learn Lua again, and fulfill my longtime dream. And I was inspired by half life. That game inspired me a lot. And I wanted to create a game or after creating a game, a game engine similar in style to HL. And despite the fact that many say that it is better to start with a simple for example RPG and similar 2D games. But I'm just sure that LOVE2D has a huge potential for 3D and with the help of this engine can create a masterpiece.
But the problem is that for 3D games I don't know how to do a lot of things. Even if I want a 2D game, I don't even know how to draw pixel art. This is my first major problem. The second big problem is that I have a very old PC. A laptop to be exact. With the following specifications
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz 3 MB Cache
4 ram
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160 M 256 vram.
and because of these specifications I use love 9.2 and not love 11.x. And there is one more problem, I don't know a lot of things. not 3D, not comopositor, many and many other things that game dev needs. But despite these problems I have one good skill. Communication and work with scenario.But I need help and advice from more experienced people. I'm sure that I can get my dream if I try, even though it may take a very long time.
dusoft
Party member

Re: Need some help guys!

Post by dusoft »

Hello,

I would really recommend you to start with basic 2D games instead of jumping into 3D, specifically since you don't have that experience.

For the 3D engines based on LOVE, see:
viewtopic.php?t=95630
https://github.com/groverburger/g3d

Also see:
https://github.com/love2d-community/awe ... ov-file#3d

These will do lots of work for you.

But again: 3D will be likely more that you can take, so start with something simple.
InsaneWizard
Prole

Post by InsaneWizard »

Wow! i din't even know that Lua have so much libraries. thanks mate! About that engine... i tried to lunch but it needs OpenGL 3.3 or something like that. Then i thouth about raycasting 3D like DOOM but it's to old, then i searched about graphics and find software rendering. i was interested but i need to return to math). what do you think about software rendering?
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Every journey starts with small first steps. Halflife is too difficult as a first project even if you use an existing 3D engine.
Get experience by making small 2D games: Pong, Snake, Frogger etc. There are many tutorials for that.
You do not need to be an artist. Surely you can draw a ball :P and two paddles for Pong?
It is possible to make games with only minimal math. Logic is more important than math.
InsaneWizard
Prole

Post by InsaneWizard »

yeaah... You are right guys. If i do not begin even from first step it will be difficult. Thanks my dear friends!
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

+1 is the the only math most games need.
obey