Where to give credit to 3rd party libs?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ddabrahim
Party member

Where to give credit to 3rd party libs?

Post by ddabrahim »

I am playing with the idea to share the system I've been working on.
Currently I am writing the documentation and I was wondering what would be the best place to give credit to 3rd party libs I am using?
I don't want to hide the fact I am using those libraries but the opposite I actually would like to not only credit but promote those libs.

What I am considering:

1. Splash screen, if you are using my system it is by default load a splash screen first and I credit the libraries there. Maybe it is an overkill I guess.
2. In the documentation have a section dedicated to credits. (the documentation is also going to be the home page possibly)
3. In the source I am going to include a readme or credits but it doesn't feel enough because I anticipate people using my project not going to look inside the source but I want them to be aware of the fact what libs the project is actually using.

What would you recommend? What would you desire if I was using your lib that you are proud of and want credit for it? Where should I put the credit? Is a readme or credits in the source in the documentation is more than enough?

Thanks.
dusoft
Party member

Re: Where to give credit to 3rd party libs?

Post by dusoft »

Documentation (usually required by licenses anyway)
Credits (scrolling screen etc.)
Splash - maybe the most important ones and allow skipping (or show only on first launch), otherwise it might be annoying to your users
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

I think best place will be "About" section of your game with clickable links to this libraries repos with short description (if library has one)
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with a dedicated Credits section in the documentation. It is clean, simple, visible.
Problem with the splash screen is that many libs does not even have a logo as far as I am aware just text would look very unpolished.
MikeHart
Prole

Post by MikeHart »

I think in the docs is the best way to go here