Offline-capable LÖVE tutorial

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Offline LÖVE documentation for download

Post by GVovkiv »

Pinko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:14 pm I am already logged in the wiki, but i am still a beginner in löve. (maybe, this qualifies me for this job?)
Yes, the wiki needs work and i still want to assemble a pdf or ebook for beginners.
It should be short (about 10 pages maximum) and at first only in english. I think this will substantially improve the löve experience for beginners. Dont expect fast results from me.

At a later time, i would appreciate a little help in translation and maintaining of those documents.

Thank you, for your kind answers!
Pinko
I still think implementing this information in wiki itself will bring more benefits then pdf file, but whatever.

I might help with russian and ukrainian translations, so if you would be interested in that, try contacting me via PM or something.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

GVovkiv wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:21 pm
I still think implementing this information in wiki itself will bring more benefits then pdf file, but whatever.

I might help with russian and ukrainian translations, so if you would be interested in that, try contacting me via PM or something.
I disagree. The knowlege in the wiki is not easy to reach for beginners. A seperate document, which is easy to send per email, will fastly get around the world. For a beginner a download of the wiki is too difficult and oftentimes not useful/unpractical.
I want to write / assemble a small document only for beginners, to spark the interest in Löve, which is easy to read and will be given to your friends for free.
How to Löve is too much information for this purpose. I will add a link in my book to it.

When i am ready, i will certainly take your word, when it comes to translation. My heart beats for ukraine!

Thank you all for your help!

Pinko
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Pinko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:46 pm I disagree. The knowlege in the wiki is not easy to reach for beginners. A seperate document, which is easy to send per email, will fastly get around the world.
Huh?
How knowledge is not easy to reach? You literally open wiki and read stuff?
And if you need to send information then pass link or something? Luckily, most of people do have access to internet or to stable enough internet to read simple wiki pages.
Also... email? Because I don't think most people use something like email to "get around the world" and instead use Discord, Telegram, etc.

Also, this: https://github.com/love2d-community/awe ... #tutorials
But whatever
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

It will be totally different. A short "jump in to löve" ( this is probably not the title) as a snack for total beginners in programming. To spark your interest in Löve and game making. It will not be a complete guide or book to learn anything about Löve or lua. A different approach to learning programming.
  • The working title will be "Avalon" .. " make your own games with Löve"
  • Basic knowlege, to begin programming with löve. (A new paradigma)
  • PDF and ebook
  • free (with a free licence maybe CC-BY-4.0)
  • 20 pages max.
  • easy to read
  • easy to share
  • printerfriendly
  • many links to more knowlege available on the internet
Pinko
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Pinko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:14 pm i am still a beginner in löve. (maybe, this qualifies me for this job?)
Actually, yes, I think it does. I don't really remember the exact road I took in learning Lua/Love. If I wrote a guide, it would be based around what I want to know - best practices, how to achieve certain effects, how to get the most out of love's built-in functions, useful user-made functions, etc. That's not what a beginner needs at all. :)

Also, I've noticed that your definition of a "short" guide has gradually crept up from 8 to 10 to 20 pages. Watch out for feature/scope creep!
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

The wiki is mainly meant to be about API documentation (as is the offline love docs thread). A tutorial is a separate thing outside the scope of both of those areas, and several exist already. I've split the posts about a tutorial out of the other thread to keep things on-topic.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

milon wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:33 pm
Pinko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:14 pm i am still a beginner in löve. (maybe, this qualifies me for this job?)
Also, I've noticed that your definition of a "short" guide has gradually crept up from 8 to 10 to 20 pages. Watch out for feature/scope creep!
Yes, i want to make it interesting and informative and thought 8 pages are nothing at all with so many things which need to be covered. I will see if i can still make it short enough to be interesting and not too long to be booring. 20 pages at max seem to be ideal now. Yes, the scope and features are very limited, which is kewl for me. :ultrahappy:
slime wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:46 pm The wiki is mainly meant to be about API documentation (as is the offline love docs thread). A tutorial is a separate thing outside the scope of both of those areas, and several exist already. I've split the posts about a tutorial out of the other thread to keep things on-topic.
No problem, i can write it only on my computer and only upload or share the pdf with you, if you like. It will be ready in about 6 months. I cant work on it full time.

Pinko
MikeHart
Prole

Re: Offline-capable LÖVE tutorial

Post by MikeHart »

If you want people to help you and maintain it, you certainly should think about a different distribution solution. GitHub pages come to my mind. But of course that would be still an online thing.

But I applaud to everyone who takes on such a task. Back in 2011 I wrote a book about a different game programming language. 10 chapters with 25 to 40 pages each. And I had to finish each chapter within 14 days. That including while doing a fulltime day job.
So good luck to you.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

@MikeHart
I have no problem to share all of the source files, but it will not be much. Under 10 megabytes.
It will be written for the beginner, with no programming skills.

In my opinion, there will not be much to update at all, because Löve is already pretty mature and there wont be many changes on this codebase. So, there is no need to invest any work in maintance of the files. It only will need a translation, when it is done.

Thank you!
Pinko
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Pinko wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:57 am So, there is no need to invest any work in maintance of the files. It only will need a translation, when it is done.
Yeah, because translators certainly will appreciate usage of some weird email file sharing workflow instead of some git service like GitHub, with very convenient pull requests...