Medieval Zombie Dungeon Crawler

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
togFox
Party member

Re: Medieval Zombie Dungeon Crawler

Post by togFox »

Maybe dev needs to set monitor brightness to 'normal' and then check game brightness. Even better is to have a game option for that.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:05 pm Its funny to see these questions constantly pop up
It's understandable for a beginner to be asking these questions about how things are being done. Perhaps they don't have the experience to implement these things on their own yet, I would want to know if there were any other tools being used that I could take advantage of too.

On lighting:
The lights radius is now calculated with (radius * (log(x + 0.1) + 2)/2) which makes it drop-off more gradually, x being 1 when brightest and 0 when empty. The light meter also drains with (x - x * drain amount) making it drain slower as it empties. Lights also have a soft halo drawn over the top rather than just lighting the texture underneath. Candles are also now hand placed with the level editor.
togFox wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:34 pm Maybe dev needs to set monitor brightness to 'normal' and then check game brightness. Even better is to have a game option for that.
I agree.

I've uploaded some footage below, although there are some issues with Z-sorting and with the mini-map due to some optimisations I have made but not fully refactored.

Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

I have updated the original post to include some new footage of the game and a new version to download. Have a go and let me know what you all think!

Some of the changes:
Expanded the level editor to now also be able to place switches, gates, candles and decorations
Made changes to lighting and effects
Improved the level in various ways as well as expanding it to contain more areas.
There is now an end to the level to be reached if anyone can make it
Various performance optimisations
More sound effects