Source Code of a Löve2D Game is not readable

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DeadlyKitsune
Prole

Source Code of a Löve2D Game is not readable

Post by DeadlyKitsune »

Hello everyone!

I want to get the Source Code of Game Dev Studio that is written in Löve2D. I extracted the .exe file and I got the Source Code but all the files(.lua files) are not readable at all. It seems they have binary data left or something.

I need the Source Code for a Mod I make for Game Dev Studio.

Oh here is the Steam Page of the Game.

Also there is a Download for the Source Code but I got this Error Message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /source.zip on this server.

Is there a way to make it readable or get the Source Code where the content is readable?
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Source Code of a Löve2D Game is not readable

Post by GVovkiv »

You should ask this questions to developer, not us.
http://www.gamedevstudiogame.com/press/index.php
There email and other contact info, so use them instead.
Based on "forbidden" error and overall look, their server seems to be not really maintained, so that probably why source files not available.
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

You can't read it if it is obuscated. That mean the author does not want anyone else to read his game source.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Rigachupe wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:38 pm You can't read it if it is obuscated. That mean the author does not want anyone else to read his game source.
Considering there game source on site, it might be possible, that author compiled lua to byte-code (or whatever it called) for faster loading time, not specifically hide source.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Rigachupe wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:38 pm You can't read it if it is obuscated. That mean the author does not want anyone else to read his game source.
Obfuscation is usually reversible, there are plenty of tools to deobfuscate. Another thing is if you will be able to understand such code as it might lose some meaning.
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

How did he access the source of that game? I tried that link and i only see this:
wtf-source-where.png
wtf-source-where.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
DeadlyKitsune
Prole

Post by DeadlyKitsune »

Rigachupe wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:38 am How did he access the source of that game? I tried that link and i only see this:
wtf-source-where.png
I extracted the Executable File(.exe) of the Game "Game Dev Studio" to get the Source Code but the .lua files are in LuaJIT bytecode and it's not readable at all.

I searched for an LuaJIT Raw-Bytecode Decompiler and I found one but for some reason it cannot decompile all the files. Well it says that the code of the decompiler is finished but it doesn't update it at all.

So I tried searching for a Decompiler that is finished but I didn't find an alternative to that decompiler, sadly.
DeadlyKitsune
Prole

Post by DeadlyKitsune »

GVovkiv wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:42 am You should ask this questions to developer, not us.
http://www.gamedevstudiogame.com/press/index.php
There email and other contact info, so use them instead.
Based on "forbidden" error and overall look, their server seems to be not really maintained, so that probably why source files not available.
I sent an email about the problem to the developer but I got no reply of that email yet.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I searched for an archived version in the Wayback Machine but unfortunately there isn't one either.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

DeadlyKitsune wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:59 am I sent an email about the problem to the developer but I got no reply of that email yet.
Welp, that might take sometime to reply. (If they reply at all...)