Will there ever be native 3d functionality?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
NoreoAlles
Party member

Will there ever be native 3d functionality?

Post by NoreoAlles »

Hey, i just recently started using Löve and noticed how many people make 3D libraries or raycaster on youtube. So, just out of curiosity i wanted to ask if thats even thesible and useful for a engine with "2d" in its name. :P
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
glitchapp
Party member

Re: Will there ever be native 3d functionality?

Post by glitchapp »

Hello, I'm using 3dreamengine on a 2d game and I find it really interesting and useful, you can even transform your 2d game into a 2.5d game without much effort and the results are wonderful, but that's my experience I don't know what others think. There are also interesting games already using 3d libraries, one of them is "Hoarder's Horrible House of stuff" which is very nice looking and cool sokoban game, you can see it here: viewtopic.php?t=90053
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

glitchapp wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:49 pm Hello, I'm using 3dreamengine on a 2d game and I find it really interesting and useful, you can even transform your 2d game into a 2.5d game without much effort and the results are wonderful, but that's my experience I don't know what others think. There are also interesting games already using 3d libraries, one of them is "Hoarder's Horrible House of stuff" which is very nice looking and cool sokoban game, you can see it here: viewtopic.php?t=90053
Thanks!
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'm also working on a 3D game of my own. Löve can definitely do 3D. It's not made for 3D. Memory management isn't perfect. But it can still do pretty well for a smallish 3D project. Definitely not to be ruled out if you want to make something neat. Everyone does 3D libraries because they like the challenge. It's like people still making games for old consoles like the NES. It's really awesome and a challenge to conform to the restrictions and try and see how good of a game you can make. Or people who use PICO-8, which is like a more limited Löve with its own dev environment, but super high restrictions. The amount of stuff people have made in PICO-8 is ridiculous.
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

Jasoco wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:08 pm I'm also working on a 3D game of my own. Löve can definitely do 3D. It's not made for 3D. Memory management isn't perfect. But it can still do pretty well for a smallish 3D project. Definitely not to be ruled out if you want to make something neat. Everyone does 3D libraries because they like the challenge. It's like people still making games for old consoles like the NES. It's really awesome and a challenge to conform to the restrictions and try and see how good of a game you can make. Or people who use PICO-8, which is like a more limited Löve with its own dev environment, but super high restrictions. The amount of stuff people have made in PICO-8 is ridiculous.
I started learning lua with tic-80, a very pico8 like envioremnt! :ultraglee:
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

NoreoAlles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm Hey, i just recently started using Löve and noticed how many people make 3D libraries or raycaster on youtube. So, just out of curiosity i wanted to ask if thats even thesible and useful for a engine with "2d" in its name. :P
It is indeed feasible to make 3D games with löve, since it uses OpenGL under the hood (which is hardware accelerated).
The only downside is that you'll need to code most of it yourself, since löve doesn't give you most of the tools other engines do, to make your life easier (which does mean you have more freedom though, some people enjoy that concept more)

Also, the engine's name is "Löve", "love2d" is just the domain name, nothing else; it has no bearing on what kinds of things are possible to be made with it... i'm making audio tools with it, for instance.
Jasoco wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:08 pm Everyone does 3D libraries because they like the challenge.
And perhaps because using that, others can make their own 3D stuff easier and/or faster. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

zorg wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:34 pm
It is indeed feasible to make 3D games with löve, since it uses OpenGL under the hood (which is hardware accelerated).
The only downside is that you'll need to code most of it yourself, since löve doesn't give you most of the tools other engines do, to make your life easier (which does mean you have more freedom though, some people enjoy that concept more)
Didnt think of that, but does make sense, i guess you´ll only really needed some libraries for the math, but then again as you said, LÖVE does not help loading 3d files. Thanks for the anwser, if i get more expierenced i might do the original thing and make a minecrafr clone :ultrahappy:
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

Didnt think of that, but does make sense, i guess you´ll only really needed some libraries for the math, but then again, LÖVE does not help with to do with 3d files. Thanks for the anwser, if i get more expierenced i might do the original thing and make a minecrafr clone :ultrahappy:
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

NoreoAlles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm Hey, i just recently started using Löve and noticed how many people make 3D libraries or raycaster on youtube. So, just out of curiosity i wanted to ask if thats even thesible and useful for a engine with "2d" in its name. :P

Also, the engine's name is "Löve", "love2d" is just the domain name, nothing else; it has no bearing on what kinds of things are possible to be made with it... i'm making audio tools with it, for instance.
Jasoco wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:08 pm Everyone does 3D libraries because they like the challenge.
And perhaps because using that, others can make their own 3D stuff easier and/or faster. :3
I agree with what you said about that you need to code all yourself, that's the downside and the strongest part of löve at the same time. To me that's also good specially if you want to go deeper and not be constrained to what other engines allows you, it gives you total control if you have the skills to program it, you can even make your own engine.

It is perfect to start developing games, small to mid projects, to learn and great to create the foundation of any game.