shaders

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Pliskin09
Citizen

shaders

Post by Pliskin09 »

now i know you can make yourself sound very stupid when you ask a question about something you dont fully understand, but im going to anyway. when love gets released one day, will we have any shaders? they'd need to be integrated into the engine and called by lua right? anyway, just wondering on if/how it'll happen
Sardtok
Party member

Re: shaders

Post by Sardtok »

Are you talking about implementing GLSL (OpenGL Shading Language) or something similar?
GLSL shaders are compiled when a program loads the shader, so GLSL could be implemented directly, not just with built-in shaders, but with any shader you could code (GLSL has C-like syntax).
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/glsl/

Java implementations of OpenGL supports GLSL, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement support in Löve.
I don't know too many examples where you'd need GLSL shaders in a 2D environment, although I've thought about implementing normal mapping in 2D games using GLSL.

If you are looking for particular shaders to be implemented in Löve, maybe you should ask for it specifically?
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
Pliskin09
Citizen

Post by Pliskin09 »

shaders are handy for giving games that polished look. i dont have any specific ones in mind (none to be honest) but i just wanted to know. and my knowledge on the topic is very very little - first time im hearing about GLSL ^^ im guessing that allows us to code our own shaders so simply providing support for it (and maybe one or two basic examples) should be plenty for the community to develop and share their own
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Actually, even if there is no direct support for it, you can use GLSL in LÖVE in 0.6.0, remember me after the release if you want a tutorial for that.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

bartbes wrote:Actually, even if there is no direct support for it, you can use GLSL in LÖVE in 0.6.0, remember me after the release if you want a tutorial for that.
I will be keeping this post in mind. :megagrin: