Game Development for Complete Beginners

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Serapth
Prole

Re: Game Development for Complete Beginners

Post by Serapth »

Hmmm, editing the original post may cause some issues, as apparently it disappears while awaiting moderation.
AC Vis
Prole

Post by AC Vis »

Serapth wrote: ...I've added a couple more videos, I'm mostly covering optional ground work stuff right now... things you dont *need* to know to continue, but you really should.
It's all good stuff.

I have one suggestion right off the bat, something that's just my personal observation as what I see would be of value to those looking to start gameprogramming in general and join the Love2D community.

There's a lot of game programming tutorials out there that teach seperate skills in isolation, or teach you how to program something like asteroids or whatever. Right now, with youtube, google, and the Love2D forums/wiki, I can find tutorials on how to create a lot of basic game elements and do things like load images and control my character. But there's a lack of simple and thorough content for Lua and LOVE alike on how to organize your game, code, and systems. I'd love to see a focus on how to organize your game folder and files, how to load and seperate things into modules, and how to implement something like a basic ECS- even if it's just a tutorial on how to use on the ECS libraries that already exists. In my opinion, that's going to lead to cleaner code and better structure, which will keep people from getting overwhelmed as their codebase and feature-base grows. Then people aren't fighting their own code and organization as much and can focus on other things.

I don't mean to write a novel and I'm not sure if that's something you were planning to do, but it's just my two cents. It's certainly something that I'd personally like to see even. Lua and LOVE have this great flexibility, and sometimes it can be hard to know what to do with all the freedom.

Also, I'd like to note, I've watched a lot of your other tutorials as I've bounced around between languages/engines and listen to your This Week In GameDev videos like they're podcasts and I really enjoy and learn from a lot of the content you put out. So, thanks.
Serapth
Prole

Post by Serapth »

Thanks for the feedback AC. I'll be going down that road as much as possible.

I've done two more videos, still covering Lua at this point. One more video on Tables then it's time for Love and gamedev.

AC Vis
Prole

Post by AC Vis »

I'm excited for the upcoming videos. I know Lua/Love2d are simple, but there's a smaller amount of content on them compared to other languages and frameworks. Good stuff Serapth
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Looks like someone lost a loved one to lua or something, judging from that troll in the comments :3
Keep up the good work, though!
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
PhaserFast
Prole

Post by PhaserFast »

zorg wrote:Looks like someone lost a loved one to lua or something, judging from that troll in the comments :3

Not really, it's called standing up for a language you believe in and being sick of tired of people trying to put it down. You think 'LUA' is some super duper language that has some type of superiority over Javascript. It's laughable.
Serapth
Prole

Post by Serapth »

Haha, yeah, I've noticed him.

I think by the fact I am not actually getting disliked, it's a fun loving troll. I learned looooonnnnnnnnngggggggg ago to never involve myself in a language war, even as an independent. The scars of the Great Assembly/C and later C++/Java Wars still haunt me to this day.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

PhaserFast wrote:
zorg wrote:Looks like someone lost a loved one to lua or something, judging from that troll in the comments :3
Not really, it's called standing up for a language you believe in and being sick of tired of people trying to put it down. You think 'LUA' is some super duper language that has some type of superiority over Javascript. It's laughable.
wow, you joined here to keep this going? dedication like only a someone who's used JS for years can show (Also it's called 'Lua', not 'LUA'. people sometimes like to make a big deal about that).

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
PhaserFast
Prole

Post by PhaserFast »

S0lll0s wrote:
PhaserFast wrote:
wow, you joined here to keep this going? dedication like only a someone who's used JS for years can show (Also it's called 'Lua', not 'LUA'. people sometimes like to make a big deal about that).
Yeah, Javascript is called JavaScript too. /s.

Please.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

PhaserFast wrote:
Yeah, Javascript is called JavaScript too. /s.

Please.
The part I noted on the side is what you took away from my post and the YouTube discussion? Nice. If you really wanna do thia:
There is a difference between calling Lua "LUA" and JavaScript "Javascript". The latter is a misspelling. Lua is not called " LUA" because it is not an acronym (like JS is). Saying "LUA" implies it stands for something like "Language Usually Awesome" when it does not. It is a tiny difference and I don't care about it, which is why I said some people make a big deal about it, because I've seen people do that.

Now what exactly is your goal coming here? I doubt you are coming here to accustom yourself with Lua or LÖVE. Noone actually meant to insult you or JS, we were just refuting your arguments against Lua. I know JS and Lua, and did several projects with both, and I will continue to do that. If you don't like Lua, or you prefer JS so strongly for some reason, than that's fine. I would recommend you to watch a Construct.js tutorial instead of wasting your time trolling a LÖVE video's YouTube comments though.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end