Making a platformer draw map, collision, and attacking

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
SickTechz
Prole

Making a platformer draw map, collision, and attacking

Post by SickTechz »

Hey, I am trying to make a platformer but I have come across some issues. Can someone explain to me how to draw a map, add collision and make my player attack. If you recommend bump, how can I make it check for when it the player touches the ground. I would appreciate it if you could stay away from tiled. Thank you.
zorg
Party member

Re: Making a platformer draw map, collision, and attacking

Post by zorg »

use [wiki]love.graphics.draw[/wiki] to draw a map, use a collision library, like bump; never tried it myself, but checking ground collision should be simple, check out its thread here.
I don't like tiled myself either, but there are a billion other ways to create maps, heck, there's even a mapgen contest that's running right now on the forums!
As for making a player attack, you need to know what attacking means. Again, trillions of ways to do it.

In short, do ask for a more specific issue next time, hmm? And be glad this forum's netizens are such nice people. ;)
Also, welcome to the forums!
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.