Musical Problem!

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ds84182
Prole

Musical Problem!

Post by ds84182 »

It's not a problem with Love2D, but with my game. I'm terrible at making music and I don't know where to begin. Most of the music on the Game Resources page of the Wiki point to tools to make 8 or 16 bit music. For my game, that isn't gonna cut it. The problem is I can't release my game (for free) unless I get permission to use a song (Velvet Peel by Hudson Mohawke) or find another song for free that I can use that has the same style as the original (again, which is Velvet Peel by Hudson Mohawke). I'll also include a small video of my game so you can get a feel of it (I'll get the video out sooooooooooon, but not at this very second).

So basically, all I'm asking is if anyone can find a perfect replacement for my current BGM, or if it would be alright if I use the copyright song.

EDIT: Uploaded the video!

EDIT EDIT: As you can see my game revolves around circles, I can't add bit-chips to something that has no retro graphics!
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Musical Problem!

Post by veethree »

There's plenty of royalty free music available on the internet. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'd find something that works for your game. As far as using copyrighted music goes, I wouldn't recommend it.

<probably bad advice>
However, Consider this. What are the odds of the copyright holders of that song A, finding your game and B, Bothering to take any legal action? Unless your game blows up and becomes like the next 2048, I'd say you'd be pretty safe.
</probably bad advice>

But again, I wouldn't recommend it, It's not worth the risk. I'd look into some royalty free music, Or maybe approach some indie musician about making some original tunes / using some of their work for your game.

Also, In my opinion that song doesn't fit that perfectly with your game. I'd go with something more ambient.
ds84182
Prole

Re: Musical Problem!

Post by ds84182 »

Ok I came up with a good and doable idea! I stumbled upon Free Music Archive, they have an API. I also found out that there is intergration between The Echo Nest API and the FMA API, which means that I could make the game choose music from the FMA site depending on settings that get uploaded to The Echo Nest. In that way, the music would always be different, and I wouldn't have to go through deciding on what music to choose from the game! It's a win-win situation!