Sunsorrow: A Dying Earth Action/Adventure RPG

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
pauljessup
Party member

Re: Sunsorrow: A Dying Earth Action/Adventure RPG

Post by pauljessup »

Allow diagonal movement
No.
I often got stuck at corners. I suggest you implement a mechanism for aligning movement with the tiles. See this here: Movement mechanics. Alternative, you can make the player smaller than one tile.
I'm actually implementing a pixel*pixel collision method in the end. It's just not finished yet.
To me the lighting look uneasy.
That's the point.
I suggest smoothing the lighting and using the true position of the player and not the center of the current tile.
No.
The waves in the intro move in a zig-zag fashion. I suggest sine instead. In the water update function put something like this:
Again, no.

What you see are "issues" are actually aesthetic design choices. The lighting is supposed to have a "chunky" look, rather than a smooth look. It's supposed to have this kinda retro NES feel. That's the whole point. I'm not going to smooth it out. I'm not going to pretty-ify it. It's meant to be how it is.

As for the water- the water and the clouds are supposed to have a cut-out effect, and look like someone is moving them. Not like actually waves, but like illustrated waves. The movement is on purpose.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Okay. Interesting design choices. Good luck with the project.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Thanks, yeah. It's a full on retro feel. That's also why the box that the game is in is 240x220, which is full on NES resolution. That's also why no diagonal input.

For where I got the idea of the lighting idea from, it was from the NES versions of Ultima, and how they approached field of view (which I thought was cool back in the day when I first played it as a kid)-

pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Made some awesome progress.

Added a whole bunch of stuff. Screenie below. Though this might end up being a commercial game, so no more .love's for awhile. will have videos and such when the art is closer to the final art and not place holder art.

One of those sprites is an enemy, like I said, just placeholder ones.
qwook
Prole

Post by qwook »

this is pretty dope

you should post it on imgur or reddit's indiegaming board
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Thanks!

A little more coding and art and I plan on doing just that, after I make a demo video of what it looks like :) Thanks for letting me know about that. Awesome idea. Right now all the baddies use the same sprite as the main character, which would make for an awfully boring game/video. I'm working on some basic enemies and such.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Did some updates, hired a concept artist for characters/etc, hired a musician (who is awesome). Did some massive code fixing uppery. I added a bunch of various enemy/NPC AI's (including path based ones for townsfolk that can be timer based, much like people were done in U6/U7). I added in experience and levelling up. Added in cutscene abilities.

W00t. Getting close to demo stage. Sorry no downloads right now. Next up is all content. Mapping and better tiles.

Oh and I messed around more with my retro old school lighting/shadow casting.

pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Messed around with the retro tile-based lighting....created a way of having it move in a less "jumpy" and "choppy" way, and not smoothly works around the light source(player). Also tweaked how it does the actual lighting itself, etc. Basically combined some LOS/Ray casting with a light source, and a few other random hacks to get it to work like it does now. Still not 100% sure of it, but liking it even more than before.

Not 100% done with it, needs some tweaking style (light wise), but it's a way better 2d-retro-tile based lighting system than before.

-UPDATE-
Just tweaked the lighting *even more*. And now I'm really really close to being happy with it. Will upload a new video shortly.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

All right- here's another tweak of that lighting. I'm getting very close to what I want.

pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Tweaked the lighting even more, now it's using SimpleLamp. I think it looks better. More shadowy. Added in diagonal movement, even though I had wanted to keep it being restricted, so it was more like NES zelda, a lot of people wanted this. I think it's starting to look more like an SNES game now anyway :)

Also added a whole bunch of new stuff you can't see here. Saving, etc. Loading/etc. Getting closer to death noise (not beeping, more like a Silent Hill esque DOOM DOOM DOOM sound).

Got a sprite artist, musician, and a concept artist.

Getting there, getting there.
Attachments
2014-02-12_2314.png
2014-02-12_2314.png (77.1 KiB) Viewed 5160 times