3d map test

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
trosh
Prole

3d map test

Post by trosh »

Hey everybody ! Just me again.
So I've spent a little time trying to make a pseudo-3d map with a player you can move.
There's a simple editor (press "e" and drag a zone with a left clic to add blocks, right to remove them) and a grid ("g")
Move the player with arrow keys, it can only climb on blocks with up to one level difference
I then added functionality for a camera (without löve's built-in camera) which moves when the player reaches sides of the screen
So it's pretty straight forward and quite useless as it's not really a game but I think the fact it works is something already ;)
Well I'd really like to know what you guys think of it and possibly a simple game to make with this
Image Image
--edit--
Also normally you can press "v" to change the view to a 2d view, but it doesn't work well with the "camera" right now :S
--edit--
Well now it works ! great. also made the movements ever so slightly smoother.
--edit--
woohoo lots of new changes in the all new and exciting v1.3 !!! this will blow you to pieces. yellow background ? heavenly ! borders ? magical ! camera moves around the player ? awesome !
So, what are you waiting for ? Download your own copy for less than $9.99 an hour if you click within the next five seconds :ultraglee:
Attachments
3d.love
3d map v1.3 (changed colors, added borders, changed camera movement, added transparency for the player)
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
3d.love
3d map v1.3 +debug.lua
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Last edited by trosh on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: 3d map test

Post by Robin »

Hm, if I click a few times when in editor mode, it adds layer upon layer, but after a few times it crashes (comparing number to nil).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
trosh
Prole

Post by trosh »

I can't seem to reproduce the bug ? I'm using 0.7, could that change something ? Well thx anyway :)
lots_of_birds
Prole

Post by lots_of_birds »

I thinks what you've done is awesome, and for me, it's absolutely stable

now, for a little game... maybe some kind of game like greed corp would not be too complicated.
Assets are few, two type of units and two type of factory.

factory type one create units if you pay money
factory type two give money but destroy all squares around, lowering them by 1 unit, until it falls apart.

Pretty addictive game, and it may use the different levels of Z.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Looks pretty neat. Going to make an isometric version?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

trosh wrote:I can't seem to reproduce the bug ? I'm using 0.7, could that change something ? Well thx anyway :)
Hm, very strange. Line 109 was it. It sometimes happens the first time I click, sometimes only after a while, but always in editor mode after I click on the screen somewhere.

I'm running the same LÖVE version, that can't be it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Nice Z-index Engine. I noticed one strange detail. You can go close to left border but can't go near right border?
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Hold down arrows to do that
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Nixola wrote:Hold down arrows to do that
ok thanks, but a bit weird way Nixola.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Nice, at first I couldn't see the 3D effect but when I drew some more it suddenly hit me xD Very nice, reminds me of some table game pieces :D