Engine talk stuff

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Murii
Party member

Engine talk stuff

Post by Murii »

Eamonn wrote:You're demos are pretty cool. I actually always do end up getting pulled back to LÖVE. I tried SFML, didn't work. C++, did work. Java, worked. LibGDX, failed. I always get trailed back to LÖVE! :) I started work on another project that's pretty simple, just to get me back into the swing of things. Then I'll start work on an old project, and them maybe go back to NOM. I don't know if I'll ever finish NOM, tbh :| Hopefully I will some day! Maybe I'll learn how to use the particle engine, and have a dust effect for hitting a wall or something! I don't know yet. Going back to the basics wont hurt, right?

Can you give any hints as to what your other demos might be?
Try using C# and Xna,thats where i came from.I am not 100% sure if i am switching to love2d but i love the comunnity!

-- MODERATOR EDIT --
Split from the pre 0.9.0 parade
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: pre 0.9.0 love version celebration parade

Post by jjmafiae »

Murii wrote:
Eamonn wrote:You're demos are pretty cool. I actually always do end up getting pulled back to LÖVE. I tried SFML, didn't work. C++, did work. Java, worked. LibGDX, failed. I always get trailed back to LÖVE! :) I started work on another project that's pretty simple, just to get me back into the swing of things. Then I'll start work on an old project, and them maybe go back to NOM. I don't know if I'll ever finish NOM, tbh :| Hopefully I will some day! Maybe I'll learn how to use the particle engine, and have a dust effect for hitting a wall or something! I don't know yet. Going back to the basics wont hurt, right?

Try using C# and Xna,thats where i came from.I am not 100% sure if i am switching to love2d but i love the community!
no, you löve the community!
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

I saw your post on the Slick2D forums. Are you backing away from that too?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

[quote="Davidobot"][quote="Eamonn"]You're demos are pretty cool. I actually always do end up getting pulled back to LÖVE. I tried SFML, didn't work. C++, did work. Java, worked. LibGDX, failed. I always get trailed back to LÖVE! :) I started work on another project that's pretty simple, just to get me back into the swing of things. Then I'll start work on an old project, and them maybe go back to NOM. I don't know if I'll ever finish NOM, tbh :| Hopefully I will some day! Maybe I'll learn how to use the particle engine, and have a dust effect for hitting a wall or something! I don't know yet. Going back to the basics wont hurt, right?

Note: Slick2D its old and it's replaced with Libgdx
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Murii wrote:
Davidobot wrote:

Note: Slick2D its old and it's replaced with Libgdx
Yeah, I am thinking about switching to XNA, it looks promising.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Davidobot wrote: Yeah, I am thinking about switching to XNA, it looks promising.
does it? i tried finding tuts on how using it one time and ended up giving up... :cry:
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

XNA isn't even in development anymore. There are plenty of other game engines that support Microsoft platforms. Wave seems pretty cool, but I'm waiting for it to mature a bit more until I give it a try.

It's really a pity that LÖVE will likely never work om Windows Phone and Metro Windows...
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

jjmafiae wrote:
Davidobot wrote: Yeah, I am thinking about switching to XNA, it looks promising.
does it? i tried finding tuts on how using it one time and ended up giving up... :cry:

Check this out : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB53KFssxqJWgVlieIJCWxg
http://www.youtube.com/user/CodingMadeE ... rid&view=1
http://www.youtube.com/user/oyyou91/vid ... rid&view=1
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Davidobot wrote:

I never used Slick. I was going to, but I was suggested to use LibGDX. So nah... Plus, I'm actually trying to use LibGDX. It's not really going well, but I'm trying.

I know C#, but I don't want to use XNA because, like T-Bone said, it's not in development anymore and I don't think you can develop for it on a Mac, but I could be wrong.

Why a Mac? Why not get a Windows Partition? I hate Windows. So many viruses, and IMO it's really hard to use. I use my Windows partition for booting into Linux(Ubuntu 12.10). The only reason I use Windows is to 1) Get Bitmap Fonts and 2) For publisher(schoolwork). I just don't understand why people don't just use Linux ;) But that's another discussion for another time :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Eamonn wrote:
Davidobot wrote:

I never used Slick. I was going to, but I was suggested to use LibGDX. So nah... Plus, I'm actually trying to use LibGDX. It's not really going well, but I'm trying.

I know C#, but I don't want to use XNA because, like T-Bone said, it's not in development anymore and I don't think you can develop for it on a Mac, but I could be wrong.

Why a Mac? Why not get a Windows Partition? I hate Windows. So many viruses, and IMO it's really hard to use. I use my Windows partition for booting into Linux(Ubuntu 12.10). The only reason I use Windows is to 1) Get Bitmap Fonts and 2) For publisher(schoolwork). I just don't understand why people don't just use Linux ;) But that's another discussion for another time :D
If you want to develope games for mac , linux , android , ios , ps3 , ps4 , xbox an so on then choose MonoGame its the same thing as XNA even the syntax just its portable