Scary Monsters

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ryne
Party member

Scary Monsters

Post by Ryne »

This project has since evolved into this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8042

Image Image Image
Image Image

#scarymonsters

"Scary Monsters" is a Survival Adventure/Exploration game. You play a small character on a quest to complete the "unknown machine".

When you begin you'll find yourself dropped into a unique world surrounded by trees, structures, and creatures. As you play through the first few objectives, the main goal of the game becomes apparent. The player will stubble upon a "machine" that is currently destroyed, and its missing parts scattered across the world. The purpose of this object is unknown to the player (unless you're one of my testers).

Though the main goal of the game is to find missing parts, it's not the only thing you'll be doing. There will be plenty of enemies to fight, people to meet, and bosses to outsmart. Puzzles will be a large part in solving the mystery of the machine, so Zelda fans out there will probably appreciate this aspect.

* relationships with npc's will vary
* relationships with enemies MIGHT vary.

#time

I've said this before but thought about dropping it, I've since decided to go with it. The game will feature semi-realistic time, the longer you play, to more you'll notice the world change in small ways. For example, trees can grow in new areas in the game. I was also thinking of having "seeds" to grow trees that contain certain fruits. This way the player could have a controlled area that they can depend on to always have food.

Seasons are another thing I've put some thought into. For example, there can be secret areas that are only accessible during certain seasons, like an island that they player can't initially get to, but if they wait for the water to freeze they can walk across.

* "seeds" will be somewhat rare, this is to stop the player from getting inf. health whenever they please
* snow might be able to kill small plants

#combat

Combat will happen in real time, you'll have to physically approach an enemy and swing your sword to attack them. Enemies in the game may only approach the player if they are within a certain range, this gives the player choice in how they play the game, they can either focus on the puzzles and avoid combat, or they can fight as many monsters as they please. Combat isn't entirely avoidable however, you just won't have to worry about being attacked if you really don't want to.

* combat will use a dynamic camera
* smart players can play smart

#experience/progression

I thought of a semi-realistic experience mechanic, where there would be no visible hud, though the player could technically still get stronger like in real life. Basically the more you fight, the stronger you'll get. Certain items can be lifted or pushed in game, and at the beginning of the game you'll notice your character can't get past certain areas, these areas won't actually have story-related objectives, they are mainly for people who want something to do after they finish the story.

* character may look physically bigger depending on strength

#weapons

Weapons and tools will also play a large part in progressing. Swords are the primary weapon of the game. There will also be basic items for the character to use, such as key's, healing items, and offensive items. Objectives and key story items will obviously be there as well.

* small keys to open small chests and doors
* large keys to open large chests and large doors
* special keys to open special doors and special chests

#enemies

Enemies will vary in size and type, ranging from incredibly weak, to boss. The weaker enemies will fill the game world, though bosses are story-dependant. Each boss has a weakness, these weaknesses are unknown to the player and can only be figured out by trial and error. This is to make the bosses harder to kill, and to hopefully establish a more serious fan base. By "weakness" I mean an item or weapon can cause more harm to it, not actually a "weak spot".

* small, cute, one-hit enemies (no drops except rare drops)
* mid-range enemies (basic drops, including rare drops)
* large enemies (basic drops, good drops, including rare drops)
* bosses (SECRET)

#downloads

http://d.pr/7iLA

* super-duper basic
* no collision
* play as a chicken

#testers

I'll need a few testers. Just 3 for now, and I'll open up more slots once a real playable demo arises. PM me if you're interested.

* SoggyWaffles
* Robin
* tester slot 3
Last edited by Ryne on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 18 times in total.
@rynesaur
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Scary Monsters (scrymnstrs)

Post by Taehl »

I'm very interested in this. Do you have a demo we can try? I'd be willing to do some code for this.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Haha, thanks for the interest. I've got really awful code from an earlier revision though I've since re-designed everything and haven't started programming it again. I'd start doing it now, though I know if anyone jumped on to help they would likely need to re-code everything that I have - so I'll hold out until then.
@rynesaur
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Before I'd be willing to jump on, I'd either want to try a demo (to see if it's actually fun), or be able to read a very detailed description of gameplay and game mechanics (to try to predict if it would be fun). I like the graphics, and I like the concept, and the technical aspects, but gameplay is more important than all those.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Your art is jaw dropping every time.
I hope to see a stylistic program made by you at some point.

EDIT: I expect you to make the next Superbrothers game.
Last edited by TechnoCat on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Taehl wrote:Before I'd be willing to jump on, I'd either want to try a demo (to see if it's actually fun), or be able to read a very detailed description of gameplay and game mechanics (to try to predict if it would be fun). I like the graphics, and I like the concept, and the technical aspects, but gameplay is more important than all those.
Yupp. I'm trying to get the design/idea down before taking on any programmers, or programming anything of my own. I made that mistake once, and re-designed everything, now I'm back to square one.

I havent talked to Robin in a while though I'm hoping he might be interested if he has the time as well. I guess I'll see where it takes me.

TechnoCat wrote:Your art is jaw dropping every time.
I hope to see a stylistic program made by you at some point.

EDIT: I expect you to make the next Superbrothers game.
Thanks a bunch!.

And yeah, haha, the characters were definitely inspired by sword and sworcery, I also wanted to make the game with as little pixels as possible, so those characters were pretty well suited. Also sword and sworcery has incredibly solid animation. What I have in mind is actually rather low-framerate, though I intend to have everything fully animated, like trees, characters, objects, etc. I'll post a few examples of animations that I have in a bit.
Last edited by Ryne on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@rynesaur
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Keep going. I want to play this game!
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Jasoco wrote:Keep going. I want to play this game!
Thanks, I'll try. :)
@rynesaur
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

i don't think it seems un-fun at all. exploration rpgs are very much fun i think :cool:
also i like the art style a lot.
ditto!
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

felix24 wrote:i don't think it seems un-fun at all. exploration rpgs are very much fun i think :cool:
also i like the art style a lot.
ditto!
Yeah, I think so too. Right now I'm going to create every resource needed for the game, before I start programming, or before someone else programs it. I make the mistake too often to start programming early which always leads to problems. I've even already started on a mini-map of the entire game world, so if someone besides myself jumps on then they can see the entire layout that I have in mind.
@rynesaur