Box Breaker

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
stripwax
Prole

Re: Box Breaker

Post by stripwax »

Very cool indeed. I especially like the idea of a parabolic ball arc in a breakout game, I don't think I've ever seen that before!

The sound effects seem to cutout (or, more accurately, 'not get triggered when they should') - e.g. the sound of the ball hitting the bat seems to occur one time out of two if the ball is bouncing a short distance onto low-hanging bricks and back onto the bat. I suspect you're using a single audio Source object for each sound effect and just doing :play() or something like that? (haven't looked at your code yet). That doesn't always do what you want especially if the previous sound hasn't yet finished. You could try taking a look at creating a simple audio manager using a technique similar to what is used in Mutrix or the audiomanager.lua I used in Biodiversity (both found on this forum)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I made two bonus levels, because I was bored and wanted to play more of this game. Especially the first level I made, was made specifically to use together with the multi-ball bonus.
Attachments
BoxBreaker.love
(667.95 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Help us help you: attach a .love.
JDFight
Prole

Post by JDFight »

New version:

1)space bar no longer required to launch ball - Now right click launches instead -
2)3 new levels added - level 2 heart level and levels 9 and 10 contributed by Robin
3) rudimentary Gamepad support added - although, it makes the game much harder since it is moving the paddle at a constant speed - I am thinking of an acceleration method to improve paddle control for a later version.

@Robin - Thanks for the new levels! I am hoping to get 100+ levels in this game at some point... So, I really appreciate contributions!

@stripwax - thanks for the suggestions regarding the audio handling - I did admittedly take the quickest dirtiest approach to Box Breaker's sound handling - it was more of an after-thought really - It is on my list for future improvements - I will take a look at Biodiversity next chance I get! I also have some missing sounds as well as sounds I would like to replace when I get a chance to polish stuff nicely :)
Attachments
BoxBreaker.love
new version - changed gameplay controls and new levels added
(671.05 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I have actually played through this game twice now.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Your gamepad controls don't feel very nice. It's basically digital controls; tilting the control stick slightly doesn't make the paddle move slighty, you have to press it over 50%, and then the paddle moves at 100% speed. Not nice. Scale the speed of the paddle with the value from getAxis().
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TechnoCat wrote:I have actually played through this game twice now.
Only twice? :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

JDFight wrote:@Robin - Thanks for the new levels! I am hoping to get 100+ levels in this game at some point... So, I really appreciate contributions!
Then you'd better change the way the maps are defined. Here is my version: each level sits in its own file, I have also contributed the mandatory level file maps/map.11. So now you can ask contributors just for plain text files to create new levels.
BTW, the maxLevel can also be computed based on files in this directory...
Attachments
BoxBreaker.zip
(672.9 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Robin wrote:
Yes, I agree, using Ammo to destroy the blocks makes the game too easy... I hope people come up with more difficult levels ;)
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

T-Bone wrote:Your gamepad controls don't feel very nice. It's basically digital controls; tilting the control stick slightly doesn't make the paddle move slighty, you have to press it over 50%, and then the paddle moves at 100% speed. Not nice. Scale the speed of the paddle with the value from getAxis().
I don't have a game pad, so I can't help, but the code is open source, so you can fix it and contribute back.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

miko wrote:
Robin wrote:
Yes, I agree, using Ammo to destroy the blocks makes the game too easy... I hope people come up with more difficult levels ;)
One possible way of making ammo a bit less game-breaking would be to have it impact the blocks the same way the ball does; right now the ball "removes one energy level per block" (changes its color) while each bullet kills a block, no matter what "level" it is.
When I write def I mean function.