<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Support for non-power-of-two images

Post by T-Bone »

Löve 0.8.0 has it built in, so that will likely happen when the 0.8.0 version gets done.

Besides, it's not an absolutely necessary feature, because it's possible to build a game without it. It's not like love.filesystem, which is something basically all games need.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

T-Bone wrote:Löve 0.8.0 has it built in, so that will likely happen when the 0.8.0 version gets done.
Which is... 359 days ago.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

OpenGL ES 2 has mandatory support for non power-of-two images.

No doubt an unofficial Android version could benefit from the SDL2 + OpenGL ES 2 + iOS stuff I've been testing out (using the 0.9.0 codebase):
Zmc2eSJ.png
Zmc2eSJ.png (168.57 KiB) Viewed 468 times
nBCiNF2.jpg
nBCiNF2.jpg (152.08 KiB) Viewed 468 times
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:
T-Bone wrote:Löve 0.8.0 has it built in, so that will likely happen when the 0.8.0 version gets done.
Which is... 359 days ago.
I meant the Android port of Löve 0.8.0 of course.
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

Besides, it's not an absolutely necessary feature, because it's possible to build a game without it. It's not like love.filesystem, which is something basically all games need.
I don't agree.
I would say that it is more important the non-power-of-two thing than the filesystem because if you have a Löve game working in PC, it is likely some images will not be power-of-two, and thus, it will not work well in Android, so you will need to redesign all the art and maybe adapt a lot of code for just it make to look good in Android.

But love.filesystem can be replaced by Lua filesystem procedures that will take way less effort and time than redesigning the game art and adapt a lot of code.

In fact, love.filesystem is useless if i can see nothing but white squares in my android screen.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

T-Bone wrote:I meant the Android port of Löve 0.8.0 of course.
Ah, of course. I always forget to look at what subforum I'm on.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Username wrote:

I don't agree.
I would say that it is more important the non-power-of-two thing than the filesystem because if you have a Löve game working in PC, it is likely some images will not be power-of-two, and thus, it will not work well in Android, so you will need to redesign all the art and maybe adapt a lot of code for just it make to look good in Android.

But love.filesystem can be replaced by Lua filesystem procedures that will take way less effort and time than redesigning the game art and adapt a lot of code.

In fact, love.filesystem is useless if i can see nothing but white squares in my android screen.
If your goal is that normal LÖVE games should run on Android (something I personally don't consider very interesting) you need basically everything (including love.filesystem) working.

At least for me, the exciting part about Löve-native-android is that you start from zero and say "Hey, I want to make a game for Android", Löve becomes a serious option as soon as the few remaining quirks are fixed.

I don't think using Lua filesystem procedures is that trivial on Android, mainly because you need to get the Android system to reserve some space for you (unless you use the /mnt/sdcard but that requires more permissions than you probably want for a standalone game).
blue.bear
Prole

Post by blue.bear »

Yep, don't grumble. You can make game without it.