In Your Face City Trains (game)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Re: In Your Face City Trains (game)

Post by SimonLarsen »

Thanks for all the kind words.
Ensayia wrote:The monochrome green gives it the look of an old Gameboy LCD. I assume this was inspired by Canabalt?
Overall very nice. It's nice to see polished LOVE projects!
I'm a huge Gameboy fan so that's definitely where the 2-bit colorscheme is coming from.

And yeah, it's definitely inspired by Canabalt. I was actually just given the title "In Your Face City Trains" (and four others from the Video Game Name generator) and had to make something from it.
I had a lot of futher ideas but unfortunately due to exams and other real life stuff I ended up stopping at this point.
BlackBulletIV wrote:Also, I would try to not create quads every frame in Player:draw. Just make a quad for every frame of player animation in Player:reset; this will save performance. :)
Thanks for actually looking at the source. I believe I do this with the birds so I have no idea why I didn't for the player as well.
What if the player had a lot more than just 6 frames, would this still be the preferred method even if it would require creating that many quads?
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

SimonLarsen wrote:Thanks for actually looking at the source. I believe I do this with the birds so I have no idea why I didn't for the player as well.
What if the player had a lot more than just 6 frames, would this still be the preferred method even if it would require creating that many quads?
No worries, I'm taking the opportunity to learn. :)

I think it would definitely be the preferred method, as quads are just geometry data as far as I know. Just use a loop to create them all.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

SimonLarsen wrote:Video Game Name generator
Internet Wizard Jihad
Drunken Limbo Dreamland
Mind-Bending Polka in Vegas
Stealth Tennis Experience
Dangerous Bimbo Takedown

Okay, this thing is fun.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Wow, this is cool. I love the styling. It seems like the sort of simple game that could do well on the USC, good luck with that! :)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

You make it look so easy...
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Getting published on the USC? To be honest, I have little knowledge of how to go about doing that. You have a publisher/correspondent right?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Lafolie wrote:Getting published on the USC? To be honest, I have little knowledge of how to go about doing that. You have a publisher/correspondent right?
I think me and/or Bart wrote about that somewhere. Possibly.

Basically it takes a piece of software, an ungodly amount of contacts within Canonical, a pint of goat's blood, and some luck. Then you just use the goat's blood to write letters to all your contacts at Canonical, begging them to let you sell your software in their store. If you're lucky, after having to negotiate how much of your money they'll take, you'll get a long and scary contract sent to you (after having spent a month waiting for legal to approve it). Then comes the fun part: packaging. Basically they'll give you access to a PPA, where you'll have to upload your packages. Brian Thomason or someone else that handles the partner repository will look over your packages to see that you're not doing anything stupid, and then they flick a switch and publish your packages.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Sounds terrible. The Mac App Store seems much more accommodating. :p
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Nicely done! I particularly enjoyed the music.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Kadoba wrote:
SimonLarsen wrote:Video Game Name generator
Internet Wizard Jihad
Drunken Limbo Dreamland
Mind-Bending Polka in Vegas
Stealth Tennis Experience
Dangerous Bimbo Takedown

Okay, this thing is fun.
Man this is cool!

Papal College Kombat (priests in fist fights?)
Final Fantasy Cricket Overlords
Political Rabbit Crisis
Alcoholic Hillbilly in the Salad Kingdom
Teenage Kangaroo Co-Op
Samurai Cooking Detective

... :awesome: