[wip] Highvoid [v0.003a]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
veethree
Inner party member

[wip] Highvoid [v0.003a]

Post by veethree »

Hey guys. So I'm in the middle of a very scientific experiment. I'm testing the effects cannabis has on programming. Basically, For the last 3 nights I've been getting high and working on this game to see how i perform while high. And now you get to judge my performance(if you want to). While doing so please keep in mind I'm a hobby programmer, So I'm not that good even when I'm not high.

The game:
The game is a simple game about falling blocks. There are a few block types, Currently there's black, which damages you, green which gives you score, blue which makes you invulnerable to the black blocks for a few seconds and yellowish green which makes only score blocks spawn for a few seconds. Also you have to move or you die (Yes.I got the idea from the concerned joe guys.)

Features:
-Smooth player movement.
-Smooth aesthetics.
-Pixel effect.
-Blocks.

To Do:
-Finish menus. Done
-Add sounds and/or music.
-Add difficulty setting.
-More powerups (ideas?)

Update 0.003a

Changes:
-Game over screen added
-Level system added, The game gets progressively more difficult.
-Disables pixel effects if they're not supported (Not tested)
-A number of bugfixes
-Other stuff i can't recall at the moment.
Highvoid v0.003a.love
Highvoid v0.003a < LATEST
(101.02 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Update 0.002a

Changes:
-Menus 95% finished
-Obsolete options option removed. (in the menu)
-Blocks and player made less blocky.
-Blocks fade out.
-Damage/score/powerup from block notifications added (little text that appears for a second next to every block you collide with)
-New block which makes it so only green (score) blocks are spawned for a few seconds.
-Obsolete health parameter removed
-Etc.

(Sidenote: Adjusted the experiment a little, I've now reduced the dosage of cannabis before programming due to multiple instances of getting sidetracked)
Standard Version:
[attachment=1]Highvoid 0.002a.love[/attachment]

I hope you enjoy this little game/experiment, Any criticism is welcome. I apologize for the lack of screenshots, But my internet is currently capped so uploading a screenshot will take an eternity.
Controls: WASD or arrow keys to move, Escape to quit/pause
Attachments
Highvoid 0.002a.love
Highvoid v0.002a
(95.57 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Highvoid.love
Highvoid v0.001a
(82.1 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Last edited by veethree on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Highvoid

Post by Robin »

Very very polished, the parts that are finished. :D (Well, except for the blocks...)

You could make the black boxes detract a fixed amount from the "move or die" bar. That seems simple and consistent. By the way, I would make that bar larger. It's freakin' important, it deserves some attention. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Robin wrote:Very very polished, the parts that are finished. :D (Well, except for the blocks...)

You could make the black boxes detract a fixed amount from the "move or die" bar. That seems simple and consistent. By the way, I would make that bar larger. It's freakin' important, it deserves some attention. ;)
Thank you.

I've updated it, I did actually end up making the black boxes affect the move or die bar. And resizing the bar is something i've been meaning to do, It's a little tricky placing an large object on the screen that wont be in the way of the game. I think i'll make it fade out to like 20% opacity when the player is below it or something. Anyway, Thanks for the feedback!
adekto
Prole

Post by adekto »

i had a play with it and it’s well made, i did find a "cheat" with the timer bar by going to the edge of the screen i can refill it
it can do with allot of different and weird power ups and disaster
an example of a disaster would be blocks spawning from different sides
Darky
Citizen

Post by Darky »

please release a pixel-effect-free version, (im too lazy to edit your .love file)
http://darky-ben.fr/Xut my webcomic (french)
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

veethree wrote:very scientific experiment.
Haha! Check this article out and report back!

Regardless, the update version is much cleaner. The colors are very soothing.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Darky wrote:please release a pixel-effect-free version, (im too lazy to edit your .love file)
Okay, Post updated with a pixel effect free version.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I didn't read the scripts, but I think you're only checking if the "move or die" bar is equal to 0 instead of minor or equal, I was able to have it negative by 'taking' many black squares
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
pakoskyfrog
Citizen

Post by pakoskyfrog »

Hi !
Your game is pretty neat, i didn't check the coding yet but here is a few power up (and down ^^) ideas :
- Something to make your size bigger or smaller
- Some bombs (exploding on touch) that clear the blacks boxes around them (the more powerful, the bigger the radius)
- Something to increase or decrease your inertia (more means slower acceleration and deceleration)
- Something to fill up your movement bar or to make it emptying slower/faster
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Nixola wrote:I didn't read the scripts, but I think you're only checking if the "move or die" bar is equal to 0 instead of minor or equal, I was able to have it negative by 'taking' many black squares
It checks if the bar is above or equal to 0, if it is it reduces it, if its not you lose. I think this bug has to do with the order in which things happen in the update functions. Thanks for pointing it out.