Brainstorming

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Ensayia
Party member

Brainstorming

Post by Ensayia »

I was kicking around a few ideas for a classic turn based RPG I might make in LOVE and I wrote up a small brainstorming document defining a few ideas for the game. We don't really have a sub-forum for this sort of stuff so I hope posting it here is acceptable. My most concrete idea now is that the game will consist of only 3 heroes.

I'm looking for general agree/disagree type feedback here. If you have something to add and I incorporate it into my design I will give you credit.

Without further ado:

Code: Select all

Three Heroes: Melee, Magic, and Healer.

Melee: Uses direct hit weapons and can equip armors and shields.
		-	The typical damage and soak character, able to equip all of the best melee weapons and armors. 
			High defense stat and needs healing less often than the cleric or the 'squishy' mage. Possible 
			'defend' option to soak damage from another teammate. Can be used to protect the magic user.

Magic: Uses offensive and support/defensive magic abilities. Cannot wear armors or use shields or weapons.
		- 	The obvious 'squishy' character, will need to heal often and ration magic. Will not be able to perform
			physical attacks on the enemy and must use only magic. Only option when out of magic is to defend. 
			Utilizes elements for best effect on enemy.

Healer:	Weaker attack power than melee, but healing abilites. Can use armor and specific weapons only.
		-	Healer able to use armor to ballance gameplay. Having two 'squishy' characters will make keeping 
			the party alive too dificult. When you think of the healer think of a cleric from D&D, not a frail robed 
			weakling but capable of defending themself. Will double as a secondary attacker when not busy healing.

Gameplay Specifics: Extreme focus on correcting annoyances and issues with traditional turn based RPGs.

-	Battle entry and exit needs to be quick. Long noisy battle intro or waiting more than one second is 
		absolutely NOT acceptable in a 2D game on modern hardware.

GOOD:
				Phantasy Star Series
				Dragon Warrior Series
					- 	Phantasy Star 2 is slighly slower than the rest, but these games snap you into battle instantly. 
						No fancy dragged out screen fade effect. Most of these could do this because of cartridge 
						load times.

BAD:
				Final Fantasy 9
					-	Seriously, it must take 5-6 full seconds for battle to begin each and every time. After that 
						you have to wait 1-2 seconds for the first party member's ATB gauge to fill. This sounds like 
						a nitpick, but coupled with a high encounter rate when you are trying to get somewhere is 
						absolutely ludicrous. Understandibly, cart games have an advantage on loading times
						but there are a few PSX RPGs that do this right even with loading considered.

Pokemon Black/White
					-	Battle enters with a noisy intro, then introdocues the enemy, then each trainer throws a 
						pokeball with complete animations, as a pokemon pops out and makes more animations and
						sound. 20 seconds later you can actually start doing something... This is more of a problem with 
						trainer battles, wild pokemon battles are a bit quicker but not by much.

- 	Attacks and animations can have style but need to be quick enough to keep the battle flowing.

GOOD:
				Phantasy Star 4
				Final Fantasy 8 (Normal Attacks Only)
					-	Phantasy Star 4 does an excellent job with fast flashy attacksn none of them take more
						than a single second. Final Fantasy 8 allows one party member to start a normal attack while 
						the last one finishes, speeding up the flow of battle.

BAD:
				Final Fantasy 8 (GF Attacks)
					- 	GF attacks are your strongest attacks and use no skill points or MP, however each is
						accompanied by a 10-20 second unkippable video clip EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU USE IT.
						There's a reason boss fights can take 20-30 mintues...

- 	Eliminate neccessary level or skill grinding. Do not make it necessary to grind up 10 levels to beat that next boss.

GOOD:
				Wild Arms (Original for PSX)
					- 	If you do not excessively run from battles, there is never a need to go slay monsters for an
						hour or two to prepare for the next dungeon or boss. All of the expereince and money you 
						need can be obtained through normal dungeon crawling while advancing the plot.

BAD:
				Phantasy Star 2
					- 	It is necessary to grind quite often after completing a dungeon to afford the ridiculous prices
						of new equipment and levels for the next dungeon. Coupled with the fact that every new party
						member has to be equipped and they all start at level one, unless you keep one party throughout
						the entire game you inevitably have to grind a new member up to the party's level.

- 	ELIMINATE SAVE POINTS. An archaic leftover from poor hardware support or an artificial 'challenge' enhancer

GOOD: 	
				Pokemon (ALL)
				Tactics Ogre
					-	Pokemon lets you save anywhere when you aren't in battle, and battles are not long enough 
						to be of concern. Tactics Ogre lets you save even in battle, however battles can extend for an
						hour or more and this is a major convenience.

BAD:
				Phantasy Star Online
					-	No in-game save whatsoever, only save and quit.	PSO has dungeons that take roughly an hour 
						to an hour and a half to complete, and since they are randomly generated they change when you
						reload from a save forcing you to start all over again every time you play. This is really annoying 
						if you are on the last level of the dungeon you have been playing for over an hour and suddently 
						you have to step away for a lenght of time. You keep levels and loot but do not advance the plot until
						the dungeon is actually completed (not that PSO really has a compelling plot).

- 	Show eqipment on player in game, or at the very least in battle.

GOOD:
				Most MMOs
				Morrowind
					-	I like the feeling of growth and accomplishment when I see my character's equipent evolving
						I note the difference between wearing a rusty bucket for a hat and a finely crafted and polished
						steel helm. In Morrowind the clothing you wear can have a vastly different visual appeal depending
						on what you choose.

BAD:
				Avernum
					- 	Avernum is a small indie RPG for the PC spanning multiple games. Granted most characters are
						only a few pixels tall in game, however even the Diablo series managed to pull if off. The inventory 
						screen in Avernum has a full body shot of each party member, but it's just a stock image that never
						changes. Why bother if you will never see it in gameplay?
Code tags to preserve formatting...

EDIT: Bah, formatting still fudged a bit. Better than nothing.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Brainstorming

Post by nevon »

I would recommend getting it up on Google Docs and making it publicly viewable instead. It's very hard to read in its current form.

EDIT: Okay, now I've read it. Some of the things you've mentioned are game details that I agree would make (J)RPGs better, but I don't really see anything in there that would make a game. Three cookie-cutter classes plus a turn-based battle system do not a game make. Though maybe the whole point of the topic was to discuss JRPG details that should be changed or emphasized.
Ensayia
Party member

Re: Brainstorming

Post by Ensayia »

The document is a WIP and nowhere near complete, I suppose I should have made that clearer when I posted.

I will probably continue to post updates as I flesh out more ideas.

EDIT: I've done a bit of art stuff now, figured I would post it. I am going for a battle system similar to the original Phantasy Star series. Here are two battle 'avatars' that I have thrown together.

I am going for the sort of style seen in this next picture.

THIS NEXT PICTURE IS NOT MINE