What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
tio
Citizen

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by tio »

Ranguna259 wrote:I was using the pokemon algorithems, a lot of talented people put a lot of effort into hacking the game and they posted lots or articles on pokemon algorithms, I think I *got them all* so I wasn't really building an RPG from scratch, well.. I had a basic idea of what I had to do along with the required maths :P

Sure they are tables but since there are over 600 pokemons and moves each with different data, I'd have to create every single entery on the move and pokemon table, 600+ entries, that's a lot, it's a huge list and it's incomplete.
Why are you using tables of functions? Aren't using direct values easier and more efficient?
Also, if every data have the same format, can't you use a RegEx to make it look any way you want?
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

tio wrote: Why are you using tables of functions? Aren't using direct values easier and more efficient?
Also, if every data have the same format, can't you use a RegEx to make it look any way you want?
I was quite stupid at the time :megagrin:
RegEx, that's new to me :P, it's much like lua's patterns in the string lib.
I could use lua's string library too but I didn't understand much of it when I was doing this, maybe I'll reboot the project some day.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
tio
Citizen

Post by tio »

Ranguna259 wrote:
tio wrote: Why are you using tables of functions? Aren't using direct values easier and more efficient?
I was quite stupid at the time :megagrin:
RegEx, that's new to me :P, it's much like lua's patterns in the string lib.
I could use lua's string library too but I didn't understand much of it when I was doing this, maybe I'll reboot the project some day.
The RegEx should be used only to format the parameters list to something Lua can understand :D
gestaltist
Prole

Post by gestaltist »

I have an ambitious plan to create a “fantasy history simulator”. If I complete it, it will generate a random world, generate realistic climate for it and - based on that - generate realistic vegetation and animals. Then, it will place primitive tribes in a number of places who then will be able to evolve as a civilization based on the environment. (Cue: there were no horses or oxen in the Americas which changed the available transport options and hence the shape of the civilization. Or: China doesn’t have much silver or gold which resulted in a very unstable currency system.) I will cap the available technologies on an ancient/medieval level, as I am not really interested in modern history.

I am as of now unsure if the user should be able to direct the course of history or just be presented with the output of the simulation.

For now, I have created a semi-realistic temperature system which takes into account the axial tilt and irradiation at various latitudes, the heat absorption rates of earth vs sea and a simple equilibrium system where the air temperature slowly equalizes between neighboring tiles.

I am attaching the .love for you to play with. Instructions: press “R” to recreate the landmass, press “T” to see the air temperature, press “G” to see the ground temperature. Press “UP” to progress by one month or “RIGHT” to progress by one day. I suggest that you press “T” and then keep pressing “UP” to see how the temperature shapes over the course of the year.
worldsim0.1.love
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
As I now have a working Voronoi implementation, I will be rewriting the thing anyway due to efficiency problems (a grid-based map needs a lot of tiles to look realistic, and processing all those tiles is time-consuming. It is allright for now, but once I would add the other systems, I think it would slow down to a crawl.)
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Really loved the demo, nice work :D
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
gestaltist
Prole

Post by gestaltist »

Ranguna259 wrote:Really loved the demo, nice work :D
Thanks, I spent quite some time on it.

I forgot to mention that the terrain generation takes longer than it should - it’s a simple fractal method running several thousand iterations. So be patient, it WILL appear. ;)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

An RPG is only as good as its inventory system...
Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 5.02.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 5.02.24 AM.png (107.22 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
Based it off the one in Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2.

Getting close.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Nice looking stuff.
You might have already thought about this and don't want to do it, but have you though about putting "x NUMBER" next to the item instead of having all the items? I think this would make it more clean looking, and easier to navigate if you have a lot of items.

For example:

Code: Select all

Item:          Quantity:
  ----           --------
- Pill Capsule   x 2
- Bandage        x 6
- Magic Shield   x 1
- A Trinket      x 1
- Plain Sword    x 1
And they could start out alphabetized, and then you could click "Quantity" to organize it by the number of items, and click "Quantity" again to reverse the order. Again: You may have though about this. Thought I might give some input. For what it's worth, I never really played RPGs, so this may be a terrible idea.

I like the graphics! :)
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

gestaltist wrote:I have an ambitious plan to create a “fantasy history simulator”.
That is fantastic. Keep it up, please.