choppy?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
adrix89
Party member

choppy?

Post by adrix89 »

It seems all of the demos I have tried lags the frame at 1 second intervals
Its not the framerate it looks more like a function that is called every second
Anybody know anything about this?
I'm using the windows xp, ati radeon x1900 and an old single core amd athalon processor
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.
zac352
Party member

Re: choppy?

Post by zac352 »

I've had this problem with XP on old graphics cards before.
I can't tell you why it happens, I ish no windows expert.

Edit: Maybe you should check your drivers. :huh:
Hello, I am not dead.
Betsiel
Prole

Post by Betsiel »

I get the exact same problem (jumping once every second like there's something processor intensive happening every tick, happens on all demos), my drivers are up to date... I'm on a dual core 2.8Ghz with 4Gb of RAM, and an ATI HD 4600.

I've shut down any other programs I had running, I'm virus/malware free, and it's not affecting any other games/applications.

It's such an irritating glitch that I physically cannot stand to look at it for more than a minute without getting dizzy.

It runs like a charm on my partner's PC, which is considerably lower spec, and has a builtin Intel graphics chipset.
Betsiel
Prole

Post by Betsiel »

...In addition, it doesn't seem to be a problem when switched to fullscreen mode, even at my full desktop res.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

Betsiel wrote:...In addition, it doesn't seem to be a problem when switched to fullscreen mode, even at my full desktop res.
Double poster! Bartbes, yell at him. :P
It runs like a charm on my partner's PC, which is considerably lower spec, and has a builtin Intel graphics chipset.
So you're saying that ATI has glitches? Most of the computers in mah house have AMD processors, and most have ATI graphics cards... It's only happened to me on XP. :shock:
Hello, I am not dead.
Betsiel
Prole

Post by Betsiel »

zac352 wrote:
Betsiel wrote:...In addition, it doesn't seem to be a problem when switched to fullscreen mode, even at my full desktop res.
Double poster! Bartbes, yell at him. :P
My apologies- noted for future ref.
zac352 wrote:
So you're saying that ATI has glitches? Most of the computers in mah house have AMD processors, and most have ATI graphics cards... It's only happened to me on XP. :shock:
No I'm not - I've had no such issues with anything else that uses SDL for rendering, windowed or full screen. So this issue appears to be specific to something LOVE does while in windowed mode- not my graphics card or OS.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Betsiel wrote:No I'm not - I've had no such issues with anything else that uses SDL for rendering, windowed or full screen. So this issue appears to be specific to something LOVE does while in windowed mode- not my graphics card or OS.
Well, it has to be that as well, since other people don't have this problem with LÖVE as well. I don't have the problem, ATI or otherwise.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Betsiel
Prole

Post by Betsiel »

Robin wrote:
Betsiel wrote:No I'm not - I've had no such issues with anything else that uses SDL for rendering, windowed or full screen. So this issue appears to be specific to something LOVE does while in windowed mode- not my graphics card or OS.
Well, it has to be that as well, since other people don't have this problem with LÖVE as well. I don't have the problem, ATI or otherwise.
Well, there are at least two of us who do.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Exactly. So, what do you have in common which no-one else has?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Betsiel
Prole

Post by Betsiel »

Robin wrote:Exactly. So, what do you have in common which no-one else has?
It's not that I'm running Windows XP, because it runs fine on another machine which also runs XP.
It's not that I have an ATI card, because you stated you don't have a problem with ATI cards.

Beyond that- I don't know.