What do I need to know

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Lord Uber Dowzen
Prole

What do I need to know

Post by Lord Uber Dowzen »

Hi, I've got a game design concept and after much browsing I've settled on Love as my engine of choice. Before I started making my game I was wondering whether it was best to just get into it and learn as I go or if it's best to learn LUA first. Any advice?
Lord Uber Dowzen
Prole

Re: What do I need to know

Also, any advice on learning the physics engine?
Lord Uber Dowzen
Prole

Oh yeah, I also forgot (mind like a sieve) is it possible to integrate Steam with Love. Just for planning ahead.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

If your project is big, learn Lua first, with smaller projects. Perhaps prototypes of your final game showing some parts (the options menu, a simple level, etc)

The single most important thing about the physics engine is that if you try to move things around changing their position (with body:setPosition) then they are not really 'moving'; they are 'teleporting from one position to the other'. The engine does not 'interpolate'; so if you place a character on a platform, and you move the platform 10 pixels high with setPosition, then the character gets "trapped inside" the platform.

The best way to avoid these inconveniences is not using setPosition, and using setLinearVelocity or setForce or setImpulse instead.

This is very conter-intuitive and inconvenient for making platformers.

No one has done any game with Steam yet. I bet you could integrate it; but you would be navigating uncharted seas.
When I write def I mean function.
Lord Uber Dowzen
Prole

Thanks for the tips!

At this point I have no idea whether I could get the game on Steam anyway. I'll see what happens.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

Lord Uber Dowzen wrote:Hi, I've got a game design concept and after much browsing I've settled on Love as my engine of choice. Before I started making my game I was wondering whether it was best to just get into it and learn as I go or if it's best to learn LUA first. Any advice?
Lua, not LUA. Lua is Portuguese for moon, not some acronym. :x
Hello, I am not dead.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Along the same lines, Mac not MAC. MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control. Mac is short for Macintosh.

Not that anyone was making that mistake here, but I've seen it on this forum before.