Русификация

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Русификация

Post by Robin »

Luiji wrote:U.S. English actually incorporates a lot of words from other languages. Lame example: De Ja Vu, French. Platoue, French. There are others, too. A lot of U.S. English was patch-worked from other languages because so many different cultures moved to the Americas.
Meh. Pretty much all languages do that (at least the ones from cultures that haven't been living in isolation). Hell, even Latin and Greek did it. Many English words are loanwords stemming from the time there was no English, only an ancestor language, which gave rise to English, German, Swedish, Dutch. But they don't change the language.

Taking words from other languages, that's not the same as learning new ones. Those words are brought into the language, but they don't change the grammar. If you learn new words, even if they are plentyful, it's not the same as learning a new language.

I think all children should learn a second language as if it were their native tongue. Not necessarily English, if it isn't their first one.

Even so, I'm trying to learn German because the Secret Maryo Chronicles forums has an entire subsection for the German language, but I have yet to find any good resources.
Luiji wrote:Back on topic, though, what's the total opinion on translations on Wikis and Forums so far? I vote yes wiki, no forum.
Any reason in particular?

Note that, by a bizarre coincidence*, pretty much all the people who have the power for such a decision are away, on a holiday, mostly.

I still don't have a final opinion on this myself.

* or maybe not so bizarre**, whatever you like best.
* or maybe no coincidence, whatever you like best.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Luiji wrote:The problem with multilingual forums would be that when one language finds a solution, the rest are left out.
Solutions that exist only in Mandarin would not have existed in English, because if the author could write English, they would, because the English community is official and up-to-date. Instead, the solution will be available in one language, ready to be translated to English and other languages.

buttrant
You are all ignorants, unable to imagine yourself having an educational background which leaves you with no English skills (which doesn't mean that you speak only one language by the way!)
/buttrant

:D
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

If someone finds a viable solution for a multi-language wiki, please post. I'll be happy to apply it.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

thelinx wrote:If someone finds a viable solution for a multi-language wiki, please post. I'll be happy to apply it.
Well, Google Chrome has automatic translation, so even if you don't know English - you should be able to make some sense of the documentation, even if it won't be perfect.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

thelinx wrote:If someone finds a viable solution for a multi-language wiki, please post. I'll be happy to apply it.
It appears that Extension:Multilang and Extension:LanguageSelector might be the right tools. Would you like me to test this locally first, post screenshots of what it looks like and provide install instructions?
Last edited by qubodup on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

qubodup wrote:It appears that Extension:LanguageSelector and Extension:LanguageSelector might be the right tools.
... it's the same...
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

qubodup wrote:
It appears that Extension:LanguageSelector and Extension:LanguageSelector might be the right tools. Would you like me to test this locally first, post screenshots of what it looks like and provide install instructions?
Please test it locally and return with results and examples.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Robin wrote:
qubodup wrote:It appears that Extension:LanguageSelector and Extension:LanguageSelector might be the right tools.
... it's the same...
lolfixed
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

qubodup wrote:
Robin wrote:
... it's the same...
lolfixed
ORLY?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Robin wrote: ORLY?
YARLY