Vidwars - Map Editor

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
VideroBoy
Party member

Vidwars - Map Editor

Post by VideroBoy »

Updated May 4

I am pleased to announce that my map editor is now fully functional. Now all that's left is to create a game that uses maps from this editor.

Maps are saved to the 'maps' folder in Löve's save folder. You may also take screenshots with '`' (saved to the 'screenshots' folder in Löve's save folder, of course) and switch between fullscreen and windowed mode with Tab.
A map I made.
A map I made.
vidwars_map_editor_02-May-2010_12-06-26-AM.png (382.65 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Selecting an existing map to edit.
Selecting an existing map to edit.
vidwars_map_editor_02-May-2010_12-06-57-AM.png (287.79 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
VidwarsMapEditorBeta1.love
Vidwars Map Editor (Beta 1)
(433.67 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by VideroBoy on Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Vidwars - Map Editor

Post by bartbes »

Moved.

Is there a game accompanying this?
VideroBoy
Party member

Post by VideroBoy »

Not yet, and it might not come for a while based on the rate I'm working at. :oops: I'm assuming a lot of the map editor code can be transferred over though.
Maggots
Prole

Post by Maggots »

If ever you do make a game out of this, it would make a mean multiplayer RTS.
The multiple colors gave me the idea that you could have 2 to 4 players, but they can only see what's
in their color. And if two troops are on the same case(except not the same color), they engage in a battle.

...A man can dream, can't he? :)
VideroBoy
Party member

Post by VideroBoy »

Actually, it's just two teams (Red and Blue). They have Red and Blue bases (the wireframe boxes) and there are Neutral bases waiting to be captured.

Gameplay is actually going to be like Archon. Units are moved around on the map in a turn-based fashion. When a unit moves to an opposing unit's hex, they engage in a real-time arcade battle (it'll probably feel like Robotron).

The different map colourings don't mean anything other than aesthetics. People are bound to get bored of grasslands eventually.
Maggots
Prole

Post by Maggots »

Ah, I see. I though it might add a bit more depth to add kind of multiple... dimensions to the game.

In any case, it looks great! Better than anything I can do. :death:
VideroBoy
Party member

Post by VideroBoy »

New version up. Where you can draw is now bounded, so that the map is always nicely centred and doesn't go under the toolbar.

Also, wasteland happy-face.
Attachments
Happy face
Happy face
vidwars_map_editor_24-Apr-2010_11-58-55-PM.png (240.76 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

VideroBoy wrote: Tab goes in and out of fullscreen mode. The '`' key under Escape takes a screenshot. Escape itself quits the editor.
Please be a little careful with these assumptions about keyboard layouts. On my keyboard, there is no `-key below the Escape key. There is a key with ½ and § on it.

I once posted a simple demo of some scrolling thing to the forum, and it didn't work on everyone's computer, because I assumed they could use the + and - keys just like I can on my computer. It was a bit annoying, though as I remember, nobody ended up dead because of it.

To avoid this kind of annoyance, you can look at the unicode values the keyboard callback gets, or even better, allow the user to customize the keys themselves. Or if this is too much trouble, just use plain number and letter keys, which we all have, even here in Bärbäriä and Upper Öghland with our wonky keyboards. Made from the skulls of our defeated enemies too!

It's not a big deal now, but it will save you some trouble later if you keep it in mind from now on :)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

pekka wrote:To avoid this kind of annoyance, you can look at the unicode values the keyboard callback gets, or even better, allow the user to customize the keys themselves. Or if this is too much trouble, just use plain number and letter keys, which we all have, even here in Bärbäriä and Upper Öghland with our wonky keyboards. Made from the skulls of our defeated enemies too!
Keyboards in the Netherlands don't have a key for the letter “E”. TRUFACT
Help us help you: attach a .love.
VideroBoy
Party member

Post by VideroBoy »

Ah geez. I suppose WASD for movement and IJKL for directional fire would be out of the question too. :P

Update

Drawing the save dialog causes the editor to slow down for some reason.
Save Dialog Test
Save Dialog Test
vidwars_map_editor_27-Apr-2010_02-17-53-PM.png (277.29 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Attachments
VidwarsMapEditorAlpha2.1.love
Vidwars Map Editor Alpha 2.1
(421.45 KiB) Downloaded 179 times