Jäger - A Point and Click Framework

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Xcmd
Party member

Jäger - A Point and Click Framework

Post by Xcmd »

What is it?
Jäger is a framework for making Myst-style point and click adventure engines.

What is it not?
It is not, however, a point and click adventure system in the style of inventory-driven games. This is due mainly to the fact that I'm far too lazy to write an inventory GUI system. Seriously. That's the entire reason I'm not doing it right now. I know how it would work, I just don't feel like doing it.

Progress:
0.0.1d - First developmental version. So far Jäger can load the game.config file and use that to set the screen size, set the title of the game, play background music and load an initial scene, although nothing is yet clickable.

Things To Do:
  • Load clickable images / areas
    Navigate to other scenes
    Play sounds when HotSpots are clicked
Right now I'm pretty close to finishing this engine. I've uploaded the .ZIP file (not a .love file) to show how far I've gotten. Right now a .love file would spit out errors. I'm really not terribly far away, but the HotSpot engine is going to be the hardest part. If you have any suggestions, please post them and by all means I'll look them over. My target for version 0.1 is to get the game able to load scenes and navigate between scenes. My road map is below:

Roadmap:
  • Inventory System
    Load / Save Games
    Scripting Ability*
    Transitional Effects
*This is going to be super hard, but I'm trying to figure out if I should use Lua (which provides a pretty dangerous level of access to my engine) or just try to come up with something else.

((Please also note that the name is probably going to change, as I don't want the Jägermeister people getting upset with me. It's just a place-holder project name. I'm up for suggestions!))

EDIT: As with my other projects, Jäger is completely Public Domain.
Attachments
Jager.zip
v0.0.1d
(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Last edited by Xcmd on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
mike
Administrator

Re: Jäger - A Point and Click Framework

Post by mike »

I love first-person adventure games, but you must beware of the utter lack of quality that is attached to this idea: http://www.adventuremaker.com/
I'm not sure why, but because Myst was so good people think that they can just slap together any-old static images and have a cohesive and enthralling adventure. They are wrong. WRONG I TELL YOU. Pray tell this isn't the fate of Jäger.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Initially, yeah, probably. My target goal for the first one is little more than hyper-linked images, so simple you could easily render the entire thing with pure HTML. But if I get enough positive feedback it'll encourage me to tinker and add more features.

Ultimately I'd like to wind up with something like a cross between World Builder and Ren'Py. A lot of it will depend on what I do for the scripting engine. I'm thinking it'd probably be in my best interest to pretty much include Lua, but again that supplies a lot of access to the engine and I'd basically have to throw together a decent disclaimer stating that I totally don't support people being jerks.

In the end, what I'd like to be able to do is have an inventory system, item combining, useful scripting and the ability to include FMV and control animations directly on the screen as well as access Love's particle engine. But this may all be beyond both my ability and attention span.

If I get nothing more than a fully-functional bare-bones point-and-click framework out the door, I'll be happy. Incidentally I've edited my first post to update Jäger's license.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
TehButter
Prole

Post by TehButter »

Missing: pcAll.lua
It wont run without it.
I removed the require line for it, and now it only tells me the position where i click.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Right now that's all it does. And, yeah, it needs to not ask for pcAll.lua as I didn't wind up using that functionality to do what I was trying to do. I'm not in my preferred environment for development (32-bit Ubuntu), so development's kinda ground to a stop until I get off my lazy ass and get it together.