Pixel-art scaling

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
nkorth
Prole

Pixel-art scaling

Post by nkorth »

I got my pixel-art game to scale cleanly to higher resolutions, but I was wondering: has anyone implemented scaling algorithms like scale2x, 2xsai, or hq2x in Löve?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Pixel-art scaling

Post by Jasoco »

Actually, Mari0 (A project I'm sure you've heard about by now, go to stabyourself.net to check it out) has some PixelEffects files that do a bunch of cool stuff. One of them was HQ2X I believe. It's completely possible using Effects/Shaders and Canvases.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

If you're into this kind of stuff, this link is really interesting: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... /pixelart/
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
FlorinC
Prole

Post by FlorinC »

nkorth wrote:I got my pixel-art game to scale cleanly to higher resolutions, but I was wondering: has anyone implemented scaling algorithms like scale2x, 2xsai, or hq2x in Löve?
I'm not really keen in bumping old topics, but this is exactly what I wanted to ask about, so I'd rather post here.

I implemented such an algorythm (more precisely the Scale2X) in as3 for a game that I'd like now to port to LÖVE. It was relatively slow, so I never tried doing it with HQX because that is even more complex and requires more computations.

If anyone is interested, I can post the source for that, but I was wondering if someone did already implemented the HQX algorythm as a shader.

I have little experience with shaders, but I'll give it a go if no one else did. I suspect they are considerably faster than AS3 implementations, so then, worth implementing.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

When I write def I mean function.
FlorinC
Prole

Post by FlorinC »

Indeed it does. Thanks!