Whats the Easiest Game ?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Whats the Easiest Game ?

Post by Jasoco »

Yep. Tic-Tac-Toe was my first working game in Visual Basic. And I coded a Pong clone in JavaScript a while ago. (Before HTML5 was even a thing and a craze. I'm a hipster trendsetter!!! :cool:) And at one point I ported the QBASIC version of Tetris (Called Blocks.bas for all you DOS veterans from the 80's.) to VisualBasic.

Pong isn't that hard. There's only two collisions to check and both are dead simple. If you're afraid of collisions, be warned, pretty much every game uses them.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:Pong isn't that hard. There's only two collisions to check and both are dead simple. If you're afraid of collisions, be warned, pretty much every game uses them.
Collision detection isn't hard. Collision resolution usually is. The thing with Pong is that its world is so simple that collision resolution isn't hard either.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
monkyyy
Citizen

Post by monkyyy »

a full featured fps :3 or snake
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

I would definitely suggest pong. I believe it's the simplest game you can make. If collision is your problem then here's the most basic rectangle collision detection function, It's the only collision detection you would need for a pong game.

Code: Select all

function CheckCollision(x1, y1, w1, h1, x2, y2, w2, h2)
	if x1 > (x2 + w2) or (x1 + w1) < x2 then return false end
	if y1 > (y2 + h2) or (y1 + h1) < y2 then return false end
	return true
end
I can even attach a super simple pong clone i made some time ago, One of the first games i made actually. It doesn't use the function above, But it has an even simpler collision detection. Read over the code, it might help. If you don't understand any of it, Then you really need to read up on lua and game programming in general before trying to make a game.

Another simple game you can make is something like my game pop. It was the first actual game i ever made and released. The current version (the one in my signature below the comment) might have some slightly more advanced stuff, But i attached an earlier version here which is a bit simpler. The .love has a bunch of useless stuff, just focus on the main.lua.

Hope this helps! :D
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

monkyyy wrote:a full featured fps :3 or snake
Someone here already perfected Snake. And I'm already working on an FPS.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

There isn't no simpler game to begin than make a quiz.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

coffee wrote:There isn't no simpler game to begin than make a quiz.
Let's see, cancel out the negatives, carry the remainder...
coffee wrote:There is a game you can make that is simpler than making a quiz.
I guess that's true?

Personally, I would recommend making a cup game. (You know, where you hide a pebble beneath 3 cups and then guess which one is under it?) The reason is that the logic is very simple, but you can build outwards from it pretty easily. First you make the "pebble" randomize, then you make player input (1 2 3 buttons), then you make a victory/lose state, and so on. Eventually you find yourself adding art, which leads to animation, or maybe mouse input, or maybe high scores... it's a very expandable game.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Jasoco wrote:Yep. Tic-Tac-Toe was my first working game in Visual Basic. And I coded a Pong clone in JavaScript a while ago. (Before HTML5 was even a thing and a craze. I'm a hipster trendsetter!!! :cool:) And at one point I ported the QBASIC version of Tetris (Called Blocks.bas for all you DOS veterans from the 80's.) to VisualBasic.

Pong isn't that hard. There's only two collisions to check and both are dead simple. If you're afraid of collisions, be warned, pretty much every game uses them.
Please supply said *.bas file!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

josefnpat wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Yep. Tic-Tac-Toe was my first working game in Visual Basic. And I coded a Pong clone in JavaScript a while ago. (Before HTML5 was even a thing and a craze. I'm a hipster trendsetter!!! :cool:) And at one point I ported the QBASIC version of Tetris (Called Blocks.bas for all you DOS veterans from the 80's.) to VisualBasic.

Please supply said *.bas file!
There it goes!
https://github.com/lmacken/pong.bas
(but not from Jasoco!)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

My first game was on a TI-83+ and was "Guess the Number".
It basically generated a random number from 0 to 100 and told you if your guesses were too high or too low.
It would then tell you how many tries it took you to guess the number.