How to choose source?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
vrld
Party member

Re: How to choose source?

Post by vrld »

Why is the first random number after randomseed() not random?

According to the lua-users wiki, a possible fix would be

Code: Select all

math.randomseed( tonumber(tostring(os.time()):reverse():sub(1,6)) )
It also affects only the first generated random value (and only BSD/OSX), so one additional math.random() after math.randomseed(os.time()) should be enough.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Metalcookie
Prole

Post by Metalcookie »

vrld wrote:Why is the first random number after randomseed() not random?

According to the lua-users wiki, a possible fix would be

math.randomseed( tonumber(tostring(os.time()):reverse():sub(1,6)) )
It also affects only the first generated random value (and only BSD/OSX), so one additional math.random() after math.randomseed(os.time()) should be enough.
When I was fiddling with his code, I even tried that seed, combined with a for-loop to call math.random() 50000 times and still it would give the exact number every time on 0.8.0 but also on 0.7.2.

It's not a big deal since it somehow doesn't happen with my own projects, but it was weird nevertheless.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I find that at least 3 randoms are needed before it starts spitting out anything different.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Which is why I always call math.random 3 times after setting the seed for good measure.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

Lafolie wrote:I find that at least 3 randoms are needed before it starts spitting out anything different.
Remember that a sequence of numbers where no two neighboring numbers are the same is exactly the opposite of random. Repetitions will occur more frequently the fewer numbers you choose from. You can try it yourself by throwing a die multiple times.
For the lazy, this is such a sequence: 5, 5, 5, 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 3, 1, 3, 1, 1, 2, 6, 4, 3, 6, 3, 1, 6, 6, 4.
I'm sure you can find some "patterns" in there. If you reduce this to three numbers by mapping 1&2 to 1, 3&4 to 2 and 5&6 to 3, you get the sequence: 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1, 3, 3, 2.

What you probably want is NOT truly random (read: statistical independent) behavior, but a "random bag", where each element is chosen randomly and then removed from the bag. Once the bag is empty, it is filled again:

function random_bag(values)
    local bag = {}
    local function refill()
        for i,v in ipairs(values) do bag[i] = v end
        -- shuffle the bag
        for i=#bag,2,-1 do
            local k = math.random(1,i)
            bag[i], bag[k] = bag[k], bag[i]
        end
    end

return function()
        if #bag == 0 then refill() end
        return table.remove(bag)
    end
end
Use it like so:

bag = random_bag({"music1.mp3", "music2.mp3", "music3.mp3"})
print(bag()) --> music1.mp3
print(bag()) --> music3.mp3
print(bag()) --> music2.mp3
print(bag()) --> music1.mp3
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine