Is Love.update reentrant?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MrEricSir
Prole

Is Love.update reentrant?

Post by MrEricSir »

Is the Love.update() function assumed to be reentrant? Is it possible for this function to be called from multiple threads?

I ask because in the binary module I'm developing I have a function getting called from every Love.update(). There was a bug that I fixed more or less by accident when I added a reentrancy guard.

I'm running Love 0.7.2 on Ubuntu Natty, if that helps.
miko
Party member

Re: Is Love.update reentrant?

Post by miko »

MrEricSir wrote:Is the Love.update() function assumed to be reentrant? Is it possible for this function to be called from multiple threads?
love.update() is assumed to be global singleton - it updates the state of the program, so every frame you call it just once. This is the design decision to help you as a programmer write better code.
Threads, OTOH, are meant as a helper workers for doing cpu-intensive tasks without slowing down the main thread (which means GUI - ie, how fast the program responds to user input). Read more about threads here:
http://love2d.org/wiki/love.thread
MrEricSir wrote:I ask because in the binary module I'm developing I have a function getting called from every Love.update(). There was a bug that I fixed more or less by accident when I added a reentrancy guard.

I'm running Love 0.7.2 on Ubuntu Natty, if that helps.
You can do it, but it is against a good practice. Following this way is asking for troubles. So in short: don't do that.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

love.update is a function that by default gets called once per frame by LÖVE, if it has been defined by you. Every thread is a separate instance of Lua which doesn't contain the main loop by default, so you can't technically call love.update from multiple threads, besides writing a separate loop and love.update function for each thread.
MrEricSir
Prole

Post by MrEricSir »

Guess I wasn't very clear with my original question... I'm not asking if I should call Love.update(); I'm not that crazy!

Rather I want to know if there's ever a case where Love itself will call Love.update() from outside the main thread and/or concurrently from the same thread (main or otherwise.)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

MrEricSir wrote:Guess I wasn't very clear with my original question... I'm not asking if I should call Love.update(); I'm not that crazy!

Rather I want to know if there's ever a case where Love itself will call Love.update() from outside the main thread and/or concurrently from the same thread (main or otherwise.)
Maybe this will interest you? love.run
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

MrEricSir wrote:Guess I wasn't very clear with my original question... I'm not asking if I should call Love.update(); I'm not that crazy!

I believe it's called from the "main thread" (from love.run(), that is). If you want to change the flow, overwrite love.run().
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Since nobody seems to have noticed slime's post, I shall redirect you there, he's right.
Another thread can't call love.update, because it doesn't exist there.
MrEricSir
Prole

Post by MrEricSir »

bartbes wrote:Since nobody seems to have noticed slime's post, I shall redirect you there, he's right.
I realize that another Lua thread can't call love.update, but I imagine Love itself could do such a thing.

At some point I'm going to have to bust out GDB and see if the call to love.update ended up on the callstack twice somehow.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

MrEricSir wrote:
bartbes wrote:Since nobody seems to have noticed slime's post, I shall redirect you there, he's right.
I realize that another Lua thread can't call love.update, but I imagine Love itself could do such a thing.

At some point I'm going to have to bust out GDB and see if the call to love.update ended up on the callstack twice somehow.
The C++ side of LÖVE doesn't know about love.update, it's defined by you in Lua and purely called in Lua by love.run (which you can override if you want).
MrEricSir
Prole

Post by MrEricSir »

Okay, I'm starting to think this problem has got to be in my own code then.

Another question though: where's the Lua code for love.run on the repo? I wasn't able to find it.