Weird FPS problems with NVidia cards

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Franc[e]sco
Prole

Weird FPS problems with NVidia cards

Post by Franc[e]sco »

Hey guys, so I've been developing a prototype of my first love game and I ran into fps issues on NVidia cards. I sent my game to friends to see if it ran fine on windows (I'm on linux) it runs fine for most of them, but some people wiith NVidia cards had some fps issues.

Let me exaplain the problem. Normally, my game gets 60+ fps (up to 1k)
On the gfx 260 and on the geforce 5500 it gets like 2-4 fps even on extremely good computers (like gfx 260 + i7 CPU) and I have no idea why. Also, the guy with the geforce 5500 can run Minecraft just fine (which also uses opengl). Could it be some issue with how love handles opengl or something?

Here's the prototype of my game --> Download
(The loading might take a few seconds because the maps are randomly generated)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Weird FPS problems with NVidia cards

Post by Lafolie »

I would test this for you since I have an NVIDIA card and a decent CPU but you only posted a Windows binary, which I cannot run. :(

EDIT: I tried renaming the file to a .love and it worked. I get a constant 60fps.

Macbook Pro 5, 1
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
NVIDIA 9400M
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

It runs at a solid 60 FPS for me. Nice procedural caves, but you should really make the Esc button give a menu, or at least close the game.

Win7 Pro x64
nVidia GTS 260
AMD Athlon x2 6000+
4 gigs of RAM

Since I have the same card and OS as your friend with the problem, I don't think either of those is to blame. Ensure your friend has the latest drivers, and doesn't have any infections slowing their computer down.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Franc[e]sco
Prole

Post by Franc[e]sco »

Taehl wrote:It runs at a solid 60 FPS for me. Nice procedural caves, but you should really make the Esc button give a menu, or at least close the game.

Win7 Pro x64
nVidia GTS 260
AMD Athlon x2 6000+
4 gigs of RAM

Since I have the same card and OS as your friend with the problem, I don't think either of those is to blame. Ensure your friend has the latest drivers, and doesn't have any infections slowing their computer down.
yeah, it was a very early prototype, I'll have a playable prototype released soon. Anyways, I'm quite sure at least one of my friends has the latest drivers because he can run stuff like crysis just fine with decent fps. It's a pretty random and weird issue :S
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

Windows Vista Basic 64-bit
2 nVidia 9800gtx+ in SLI made be BFG factory overclocked
AMD Phenom x4 9600 2.3 ghz factory, over clocked to 2.5 ghz
4 gigs of DDR2 1066 crosshair

it runs between 60 and 61 fps on my computer. the only game i give my computer an excuse to run badly on is Crysis :P and not warhead either, just the first one.
Franc[e]sco
Prole

Post by Franc[e]sco »

Ok here's more info on the problem.

Yesterday the game was working fine on a nvidia card. Today it randomly started giving the same problem for no reason and I can't figure out why the problem randomly appears o_0
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Sounds like you may have a mandelbug in your code somewhere, which takes up a massive amount of resources when triggered.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

Also got the problem (2 FPS) under linux with nVidia NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200 64M]

EDIT: typo fix
Last edited by TsT on Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

Flat 60 almost all the time on a nVidia 560Ti.