Sheepollution guide up to date?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
CPop
Prole

Sheepollution guide up to date?

Post by CPop »

I just started learning love2d and have been using the Sheepollution tutorial. I notice most of the comments at the bottom of each page are 6-7 years old. I'm wondering if the coding practices remain the same of if there have been any big changes since.
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Sheepollution guide up to date?

Post by MrFariator »

I skim-read the Sheepolution tutorial, and for the most part as far as I can see, I don't see anything that wouldn't work with current versions of löve. Even the libraries that the tutorial uses or mentions (tick, classic, bump, HC) are older than the tutorial itself, and are perfectly fine to use with current versions of löve, because they rely on mostly purely lua (HC uses some löve graphics APIs for optionally drawing collision shapes, but otherwise tends to be lua only, if I recall).

In the event that some löve function doesn't work the way it's described in the tutorial, you can look up the wiki to find what the current API for it is. At most, you likely just have to change how you pass the data to the function (or maybe the name if the function is deprecated), and not much else. The author of the tutorial also frequents löve's community Discord server, so if you find something that might need updating, that's a place to poke him.

Really, the main thing of note is that while it's perfectly fine to use a tutorial to learn how to do things, do note that you can arrive at your own solutions or designs. Then again, that goes for all programming tutorials, when you get the hang of coding things.
CPop
Prole

Post by CPop »

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!
LegendaryRedfox
Prole

Post by LegendaryRedfox »

I recently followed the VSCode guide and it worked just fine. If you're still looking for references, there's this youtube channel that is quite good: https://www.youtube.com/@Challacade

His udemy course is very beginner-friendly
Keep creating