Minimum system requirements for 11.5.0

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Yolwoocle
Prole

Minimum system requirements for 11.5.0

Post by Yolwoocle »

Hello.
I am preparing the Steam page for my game and I have to complete the minimum system requirements, which I don't know. My game runs on LÖVE 11.5.0. Some of those requirements, like Minimum Disk Space, will depend on my specific game. I'm currently using Balatro's Steam page as a reference, but I am not sure which version of LÖVE it uses and it doesn't seem to mention Linux.
Here it is:

For all three of Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- OS Version
- Processor
- Memory (in MB or GB)
- Graphics
- Sound Card

For MacOS processor, the page mentions: "Specify Apple Silicon, Intel or both. For example: 'Apple M1 or Intel Core M'. If your build is Intel only and does not run well on Apple Silicon through Rosetta, please include 'Intel Only'."
I can also add additional notes if needed.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Minimum system requirements for 11.5.0

Post by slime »

Balatro uses 11.5.

love for macOS supports Intel and Apple Silicon in the same binary (so you'd pick 'both' for that option). 11.5 runs on macOS 10.11+, Windows 7+, and Ubuntu 20.04+ or equivalent (or whatever Linux distros you compile for as a target). You don't need to support everything love itself does if you don't want, of course.
Yolwoocle
Prole

Post by Yolwoocle »

slime wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:46 pm Balatro uses 11.5.

love for macOS supports Intel and Apple Silicon in the same binary (so you'd pick 'both' for that option). 11.5 runs on macOS 10.11+, Windows 7+, and Ubuntu 20.04+ or equivalent (or whatever Linux distros you compile for as a target). You don't need to support everything love itself does if you don't want, of course.
Okay, thanks. How about the processor for Linux / SteamOS?

Here's what I put for now, please correct me if I wrote anything wrong:
Windows
- OS Version: Windows 7+ (x64)
- Processor: Intel Core i3 / AMD (or equivalent)
- Graphics: OpenGL 2.1+

MacOS
- OS Version: MacOS 10.11+
- Processor: Intel / Apple Silicon

Linux + SteamOS
- OS Version: Ubuntu 20.04+ (or equivalent)
- Processor: ?
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Those seem about right. Might be able to run 11.5 on little older versions of Mac, but it can always be a bit of a crapshoot to go and verify that, unless you have some older Macs lying around. You can probably list the same processor on Linux/SteamOS as what's listed for Windows just fine.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

love 11.5's deployment target (runtime minimum version set during the build process) for macOS is 10.11, so it won't run on earlier operating systems - or if you're unlucky it will run but will randomly crash or otherwise break.

Also Steam dropped support for Windows versions below 10 earlier this year.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Right, I forgot about that part on macOS, since I still work with 11.4 primarily.
To my knowledge Windows 7 and Windows 8 can still run Steam, but yeah, they might break any moment now, so it might be best to list Win10 as the minimum supported platform (since Steam otherwise adds an asterisk note about dropped support). You could always distribute the game to users via places like itch.io for those who can't get it on Steam.
Yolwoocle
Prole

Post by Yolwoocle »

MrFariator wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm Right, I forgot about that part on macOS, since I still work with 11.4 primarily.
To my knowledge Windows 7 and Windows 8 can still run Steam, but yeah, they might break any moment now, so it might be best to list Win10 as the minimum supported platform (since Steam otherwise adds an asterisk note about dropped support). You could always distribute the game to users via places like itch.io for those who can't get it on Steam.
Yeah that's fair enough. Thanks a lot