What exactly *is* LÖVE 2D?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Noba
Prole

What exactly *is* LÖVE 2D?

Post by Noba »

I see that it says an engine on the website and wiki, but to me that conjures up images of built in support for entities, scenes, collisions etc... Is Love like that, or is it more of a framework, giving you a main loop and options for rendering, playing audio and things, with the developer building up the game framework themselves?

I've been working on a game framework in Picotron, which works as I described above, but considering bringing it over to Love instead.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: What exactly *is* LÖVE 2D?

Post by BrotSagtMist »

It is whatever you want it to be.
obey
Ross
Citizen

Post by Ross »

It's more of a "framework". There is no built-in scene tree, game objects, draw ordering, GUI system, or anything like that.

There are some main lifecycle callbacks (load, update, draw, etc.) and input callbacks, and then various modules with functions to help you do what you want. See: https://love2d.org/wiki/love

It's definitely not a fantasy console like Picotron or Pico-8, there are no GUI tools/editors or specific workflow (but also there are no limitations with Löve).
Noba
Prole

Post by Noba »

Ross wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:11 pm It's more of a "framework". There is no built-in scene tree, game objects, draw ordering, GUI system, or anything like that.

There are some main lifecycle callbacks (load, update, draw, etc.) and input callbacks, and then various modules with functions to help you do what you want. See: https://love2d.org/wiki/love

It's definitely not a fantasy console like Picotron or Pico-8, there are no GUI tools/editors or specific workflow (but also there are no limitations with Löve).
I know there's no GUIs or interfaces or anything, I more meant how it just gives you the basic functionality and you implement everything yourself. That's cool though, pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.