Introducing Spriteful: A Lightweight (but Powerful) Image Editor for Windows

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Avernite
Prole

Introducing Spriteful: A Lightweight (but Powerful) Image Editor for Windows

Post by Avernite »

Hello, Love2D Community!

I'm excited to share with you a project I've been working on for several months now. It's an image editor called Spriteful, and it's been created using the Love2D framework!

Spriteful is different from most image editors in that instead of using the typical 'layers' system it imports every image as a distinct object or 'sprite' that can be moved around in composition space and interacted with. This approach draws inspiration from two classic editors of the 90s: Altamira Composer and Microsoft Image Composer. So if any of you are old enough to remember those, you'll know how it works.

Key Features

Sprite-Based Editing: Spriteful treats each image as a separate 'sprite' that can be dragged and arranged on the canvas, providing a unique and intuitive editing experience.

Minimalist Interface: The editor features a minimal UI that stays out of your way, allowing you to focus on creating and editing without unnecessary distractions.

Fast Loading and Small Footprint: Spriteful is designed to load quickly and has a small install size of less than 10MB, ensuring a speedy and efficient workflow. Import an image, make some adjustments, and export the result without any unnecessary delays.

Text Rendering and Effects: Spriteful allows you to render text and apply various effects, including gradients, outlines, bump mapping, and drop shadows, making it an excellent tool for creating eye-catching graphics. To install fonts, simply drag and drop .otf or .ttf files onto the application window. Then, double-click the canvas or press [Ctrl] + [T] to create a text sprite.

Modding System: Spriteful includes a built-in modding system that enables users to extend the editor's functionality and create custom features. Press [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [M] to open the mods folder, where you'll find more information and examples.

Early Access and Feedback

I am currently seeking initial testing and feedback from the Love2D community before making Spriteful visible to a wider audience. Your input is invaluable in helping me refine the editor and catch any issues before official launch.

Download and Documentation

You can download the latest version of Spriteful here.

A comprehensive video tutorial and user manual are in development, but these resources will take some time to produce. In the meanwhile, here's a list of commands to help you get started, and here are some short video clips from early builds:

Flip, Rotate, Scale

Channel Mapping

Isolate

Selection Mode

Outline

Font Selector

Bug Reports and Modding

If you encounter any bugs please let me know. I am also eager to see what the community can create using the modding system.

I hope you find Spriteful useful and enjoyable!

/Avernite

PS: To fix the display scaling issue on Windows, right-click 'spriteful.exe' then select:

Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings -> High DPI scaling override by 'Application'
Bobble68
Party member

Re: Introducing Spriteful: A Lightweight (but Powerful) Image Editor for Windows

Post by Bobble68 »

brogrammer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:54 pm I'm not downloading anything from your shady Google drive account. Post it like a normal person on a normal platform please.

Also, state the license. If it isn't a permissive one, no one will give a shit.
No need to be rude, people like to look after their own work. It would be better if the files were directly uploaded to these forums, though they wouldn't really be any safer than on the google drive.
Dragon
alejandroalzate
Citizen

Re: Introducing Spriteful: A Lightweight (but Powerful) Image Editor for Windows

Post by alejandroalzate »

Avernite: you work seems rather impresive
brogrammer: chill the **** out, there's a license file, but for your own sanity I'm gonna tell ya is not permissive.
Bobble68: That's true and drive creeps inside the zip anyways
Me: anyways with that out of the way is any plans of a linux release?

Code: Select all

target = boardIndex.getWhosPeekingThisLine()
target:setObey(true)
Avernite
Prole

Post by Avernite »

Thank you for your kind words!

As of now, I have no immediate plans to release a Linux version of Spriteful. The main reason is that I don't have a Linux setup for testing, and my focus is on making the Windows version as robust and polished as possible. Spriteful makes use of several Win32 API calls for functionality beyond what Love2D provides, and they would need appropriate replacements for the application to function on Linux.

Wine provides a compatibility layer for running Windows applications, which might allow you to use Spriteful on Linux without too much hassle. I don't have any experience with it myself and would be interested in knowing if it works or not.