considering porting my game to Love2D

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
shadowphile
Prole

considering porting my game to Love2D

Post by shadowphile »

Hi, I've been developing a rather large game in pipmak, a node-based 2D game with a panoramic viewer so you can swing around the view, backgrounds are rendered as cube-faces.
Pipmak is VERY old but surprisingly well documented and runs on Windows 11 even in ultrawide monitors! It uses Lua for scripting.
However, it is unfinished and has no support anywhere. It only uses PNG files so the game size is getting bloated. It also won't play videos nor allow calling an external video player. You can only do animations using page-flipping, which DOES have the advantage that a spot video overlayed on a background will be seamless, unlike an encoded video, so I'm mostly interested in playing full-size cut-scene videos.
Is Love2D a suitable engine for my project? I am primarily interested that I can implement a panoramic viewport without a lot of ugly programming and can fire off full-screen videos. I looked at Unity but balked at how much work it would be and did not want to give up Lua (although I would consider Python as an alternative although Lua is faster and looser to program)
thanks
Ross
Citizen

Re: considering porting my game to Love2D

Post by Ross »

Cubemaps are fairly easy to use. See: love.graphics.newCubeImage You do need to write a shader to draw them, but that's only a couple of lines. I'm sure you could get help with that if need be. I have a little project using it myself around somewhere...

I've never tried playing videos in Löve myself, and it only supports Ogg videos, but otherwise I expect it should work fine, see love.graphics.newVideo.

Löve is very simple and easy to get started with, you don't even have to install anything to use it, nor use any big clunky tools. I suggest you take a few hours (or a few days, depending on your speed) to try out the features you are interested in.