question about Love.js security

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MrFariator
Party member

Re: question about Love.js security

Post by MrFariator »

Tons of games never see people decompiling or reverse engineering them, because they are not worth the effort. Could be because the game is not good enough (why dig into a bad game when you could do it with a good, or currently popular one?), has little appeal for reverse engineering (quiz or puzzle games), or is just too obscure (consider how many games release daily on Steam).

Just make a good game first and foremost.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

According to you, tell me games that are popular and good, have potential appeal, etc and have source code available?

I will be waiting.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Here is a handy list, and it's probably incomplete. The list includes titles such as Doom, Doom 3, Diablo, Pokemon Red & Blue, Sonic the Hedgehog, among others. As you might notice, some of these were released by the developers (Doom), while others were reverse engineered.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

From that list, only ones that are relevant for this discussion would be in terms of reverse-engineering the game, NOT if the source code was provided by the devs, NOT if the source code was leaked, NOT if the source code was somehow recreated. ONLY if reverse engineered and from that subset, those games are mainly either not popular or very rare to find in that condition.

And most of that subset would be older games, how about recent popular ones? Where is source code for Fortnite? Where is GTA 5?

I am not saying it can't be done, just very hard to do if you literally have to reverse engineer it from scratch.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

For any modern games, you can disassemble any game that uses Unity or Monogame with relative ease - so take your pick from all the games that opens up. They might not be Fortnite popular, but they are there. For copyright reasons, you are unlikely to find those games' source codes dumped github or elsewhere, as all a developer would have to do is file a DMCA on those repos.

The point I'm trying to drive with my last couple posts is that it doesn't matter how well you protect your code, what matters is if you have a game people will be interested to play (and in the rarer chance reverse engineer) in the first place. All the power to you for trying to protect your work (although you are going to be using someone else's IP, which is a bit ironic), but I would worry about developing something playable before anything else.

Go ahead and make your game, I think this thread has already discussed most anything relevant pertaining to the initial topic.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

I agree, I actually got my answer in one way or another, so I have to thank you for all the input. It's not like I am going to ignore what you guys said, I will keep that all in mind, and try it, at the very least. If not, well, I will release it without. Easy peasy.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Just chiming in as the guy that's supposed to be maintaining love.js.

You always risk people cloning your games. Plenty of Flash games have been ripped and hosted on unofficial sites - the general "workaround" was to include your logo/official cite in the game itself. The people ripping the games don't care enough about individual titles to do that.

If you want to go down the cloud gaming route, a la *.io games, don't use love or love.js. There are plenty of other JS frameworks (eg phaser) that will allow you to do this easier and faster. Moreover, love.js doesn't support UDP and I haven't tested TCP networking.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Sorry, this one got my attention :) :
atenzor wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 pm Considering it is based on Legend of Zelda, it will get many players interested, so the numbers are most likely guaranteed.
Some advice: Games(especially indie games) get successful because of original ideas. Like that's a rule. If you don't have something fresh or new or original in your game it's just another of the endless games in there, especially with an attitude like that.
Didn't you think that maybe "players" like Legend of Zelda because it's Nintendo and not "Underground Bench Studios" or one unknown, made up name like that, that's a copy--sorry, I mean "inspiration"--of another game.
Take minecraft for example. It was inspired by dwarf fortress and other games but it did what it did originally. You won't see me wanting to play "Exploration Craft 3D Stickman open world Building game apk" or some shiz like that, but I could play "Block story" because it has RPG elements or "Survival Craft 2" because of It's higher realism and split screen multiplayer. https://www.gameacademy.com/why-do-som ... ames-fail/. I mean do some research. Read game design books, etc. You should even be happy if someone tries to clone your game because that means it made it big time and it would probably be done poorly by some troll like dude who lacks coding skill and creativity so you could just be like:
' "Like, would the Doom creators sue everybody who has done an FPS? Don’t think so,” he said.
“I’m really bored by the clones,” he said. “They don’t bring anything new to the table which is really sad.”
' https://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/mine ... ne-makers/
Just think about all hit games: They all have something new. Just saying, just because your game is copied--I mean inspired by a famous game doesn't mean it will "guarantee you a lot of players", you feel me :megagrin: ?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

I feel that this author never wrote a single line of code of his life.
duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

4vZEROv wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:51 am
I feel that this author never wrote a single line of code of his life.
Which, of course, begs the question, how much does coding have to do with the success of a game (vs. art, marketing, concept, and pure luck)? :)

Sorry, off-topic.